Impeller design?

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Deadeye_PB, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Deadeye_PB

Deadeye_PB New Member

Hey guys, so I’m working on a custom project and I’m trying to find the best impeller for my application. When I started looking for the right one for what I need I noticed that there are a couple of different designs out there. I searched online for any characteristics of each design, like which has better acceleration and which handles rocks better, but I came up with nothing. A quick Google images search will show you all of the different types out there.

So, can someone point me in the right direction? I’m looking for a design that handles rocks very well and also has good acceleration.

Thanks

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Warman are hard to beat for slurry and gravel pumps. The acceleration will depend on the size of motor fitted. A gear reduction on a low inertia motor will accelerate faster than belts and pulleys. (Wanting a gravel pump to accelerate fast seems and odd requirement.)

Rick W.

3. Deadeye_PB

Deadeye_PB New Member

I guess I should have explained to you a little about my project. This pump will be in a jon boat that will be ran in a rocky river. I need something that will get on plane quickly and is durable when it comes to dealing with rocks. I have access to lathes and mills and I plan to modify a jet ski pump to take a stronger impeller if theirs a better option.

I would just use an unmodified jet ski pump but I hear that they tend to get rocks lodged and seize the engine. Their blades are also very fragile and easily damaged.

Here is what I meant by different types of impellers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is effected when the leading edge of the impeller is straight rather than curved? How does having the blades cast in a cylinder like in the last pump effect things? These are the characteristics I’m wondering about.

4. Deadeye_PB

Deadeye_PB New Member

Anyone have any input? I would think that the impellers with the straight leading edge would be less prone to getting rocks lodged inbetween it and the wear ring. I guess i could just go ahead and use a regular stainless steel jet ski impeller but they seem to be flimsy and easily damaged by rocks. I just figured that since i have the machinery to give it a better impeller, i might as well try.

5. nzjet

nzjet Junior Member

you won't get rocks jammed in the wear ring under normal conditions the grill will limit it to smaller stones pumpimg through and will damage the leading edge's thou, the middle pic is of a 212 hamilton (or copy) and the lower pic is from an american turbine or similar.

The lower pictured impeller is capable of far greater boat speed but will not pump as much gravel as the hamilton one before you have to sharpen the edges.

The hamilton impeller will give better low end bite and works well in rapids/white water or go for top end speed with the american turbine.

6. Deadeye_PB

Deadeye_PB New Member

Thanks for the reply. As for the leading edges. What does a straight edge effect compared to a curved leading edge?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.