Lacquer Thinner and Epoxy's

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rbt, Jan 26, 2006.

1. rbt

rbt Junior Member

I have recently been informed that my use of lacquer thinner as a wipe down prior to epoxy repairs is a no no(leaves film?). It beats acetone for clean-up. Anyone have knowledge of this?

2. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

In all the place's I have worked for mainly one we mixed laquer thinner and epoxy together for the first coat on all wood, the only film we got was due to temp. the colder it was the more slim we got. My experience with acetone is that it just does not do the job as a clean up tool, although I have heard and was taught in boat school that acetone is the trick, I just disagree. Either way it is bad stuff where they will drive the epoxy into your skin. But then again what isn't in boatbuilding......lol

3. rbt

rbt Junior Member

Bruce, hope I haven' replied twice, I agree, acetone does not clean well, sticky mess. I also use 202 for wipe down, but at 4x the price of lacquer thinner, I chose the later. No delaminations yet, maybe it's okay.
    Love the quote from the Venice of Florida. Thanks
    rbt

4. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

I have a boat I built 3 tears ago and thinned epoxy and I can tell you I have not babied the boat and holding up very well. The only comment about thinning epoxy is don't thin WEST, although I'm not a big fan of WEST.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.