40hp outboard mercury

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by lonestar, Jul 10, 2006.

1. lonestar

lonestar New Member

hi everybody, i have a 1976 40hp mercury 2 cyl. outboard and when i am
    cruising at 3/4 throttle it runs great but when i go to full throttle it starts
    to jugg, stubble, and then die, but it starts rit back up and i can go
    but it does the same thing again. any help or suggestion needed.
    thanks
    lonstar

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I can think of two things that might be involved: fuel, or ignition. It's possible that your carb is getting a bit clogged and can't flow enough fuel at wide-open, causing it to go lean and start sputtering. It could also be a problem in the ignition system- check the spark timing, the plugs, coils, etc.
    Anyone have any better ideas?

3. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

Whens the last time you changed or blew out your fuel filter? Check your carb adjustments. It may be starving on the high end. Hope these suggestions help you.

4. PeO

PeO Junior Member

Curious about the results... I think I have the same problems at my Merc 650 -1970....
    I have owned it for a mounth and there was no diafragm in the fuel-pump when I bought it..
    Now I have put in the parts and tryed agian... It runs smooter but with full throttle it runs up to a minute then it slows down... :mad:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.