40 metre sailing yacht 'My Song' lost overboard from a cargo ship in the Med in heavy weather

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bajansailor, May 28, 2019.

1. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here is an interesting thread on the YBW Scuttlebutt Forum in England about the recent loss of My Song - she is a 130' sailing yacht built by Baltic Yachts in Finland, and she was being shipped on the hatch covers of the heavy lift cargo ship 'Brattingsborg' from Antigua in the Caribbean to Genoa in Italy, with a stop in Palma (in the Balearic islands) on the way.
    The poor yacht jumped overboard when the ship encountered some heavy weather after leaving Palma. :(

My Song - lost in transit http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?521275-My-Song-lost-in-transit

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Doug Lord likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

What a shame for the people that care about her.....

3. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Oh what a waste of a good racing yacht. Sliding overboard one might expect her to float. Just a guess, but the companionway or some other aft deck opening appears to have failed and allowed her to fill up with water. Hopefully she can be located in the Balearic sea, re-floated and sail again some day.

[​IMG]

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

For $40,000,000, I’d scuttle it too!

7. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Ouch. I'll bet the structure can be repaired though. Other cleaning & repairs aside, a few custom patches derived from the original molds and some epoxy and she'll be under way again. Glad they got it before it became an underwater reef!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.