effects of adding prop pocket

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sidetracked, Dec 22, 2015.

1. sidetracked

sidetracked Junior Member

To follow up on my earlier thread, but with a different approach:

What are the pros and cons to adding prop pockets from a hull performance perspective?

A pro would be less shaft angle, but what other consequences will there be?

The tunnel/pocket adds a little surface area, so does that have any impact?

There is a lifting strake that is right where the pocket would be, so that would be eliminated - any hull performance issues with that?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

thanks,

Michael

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The trouble with a small pocket that doesn't hold the entire prop is that there are sharp changes in the inflow into the prop at the height of the pocket. At speed, and at the cavitation limit of the prop, these perturbations are a killer. You would have to keep the boat attitude perfectly steady and dead on design to eliminate them. There is a good bit of info on inflow pulsation and prop cavitation.

from http://www.akcaymarin.com/Products/özelklavuzlar/Volvo Penta prevane klavuzu.pdf

The entire document pertains to lower speed applications and flatter props, but the trends are valid - you can end up needing twice the prop area just to handle the increased tendency for cavitation.

In contrast, I can't find anything equivalent regarding shaft drop angle, and I'm not convinced that the best 17" prop @ 13 degrees shaft angle on existing hull is going to cavitate at a lower thrust than a 20" prop that is partly in a tunnel at a 10 degree shaft angle. On a perfect day, sure it would, but on most days, I just don't know. I also don't know if anyone manufactures a stock 17" prop that is dead nuts what you would need. The 20" is no problem.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

When you install a pocket and raise the shaft angle you are moving into the Surface Piercing Propulsion World with all that entails.
    Pockets and tunnels are Surface Propulsion devices.

4. sidetracked

sidetracked Junior Member

really appreciate all the input.... after studying the prop further tonight, the cavitation issues seem to be an issue starting at about 35 knots with both the set ups I have been looking at (13 degree shaft angle, 17" prop and 14 degree down angle with 19" prop). Top speed is estimated at 39/40 knots and I will rarely run that % wise, majority of time will be below 35 knots... looks like I will go ahead and leave the shaft angle unchanged and go with 1.2:1 gear ratio and 17" 4 blade prop and use a high blade area Michigan or acme and just try to tweak it as best I can....

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

check out the Saro Trimable steerable tunnel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.