Buccaneer 28 Trimaran plans.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I am searching for a set of Lock Crowther Buccaneer 28' plans.
    If you have a set in reasonable nick, and you are not intending to build from them yourself, I am prepared to pay good money for them. Please PM me if interested. :D

2. Trisailor

Trisailor Junior Member

Bucc 28 Plans

Hi, Can you tell me if you have managed to locate Bucc 28 Plans as yet?

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sorry Trisailor.
    I have not as yet. :eek:

I do have a spare set of B24 plans though---if anybody wants them please PM me. OS7.

4. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

Buccaneer trimaran and others plans

Re: Buc 28 plans, Old Sailor, why not put a request out to the classic boatbuilding community for interest in all plans for Crowther tri's and possibly cats as well. Once you have considerable numbers of potential orders for copies you could approach Brett Crowther with a commercial interest that might spark his interest. The saddest possibilty ever would be that all those uncatalogued mothballed plans were to be damaged, destroyed or lost.
    They are in effect part of Australia's boat design history and the originals should be preserved and the sale of copies at fair value would pay for proper filing of the collection.
    Unfortunately there are no Maritime Museums in Oz who have any interest in such a collection.
    I will check and see if I still have some scanned files of Buc 28 plans.
    I would really like a set of plans for the Buc 36, anyone out there?
    Some plans for fantastic classics like Kantola Tri's are nigh extinct.

5. Trisailor

Trisailor Junior Member

Buccaneer 28 Trimaran

Hi, such a fantastic boat the Bucc 28, funny there does not seem much said or information about them these days. Such adventures I had in the 80,s Excellent performance & when rig set up correctly almost vice free, a very safe fast boat & still today could be regarded as quite powerful with 610 sq ft to windward in 20 knots & the old Quote "Tacks like a Dingy says Lock Crowther"

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes Trisailor.
    I have owned 7 multihull sailboats in my time ---and the Buccaneer 28 was without a doubt the best of the lot. Shame the plans are no longer available.

7. rattus

rattus Señor Member

Hi - does anyone even have photos of a B28?

Happy New Year!

Mike

8. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

I think Patrick posted this study plan a while back, and later I found a good picture and a tiny picture of a Buccaneer 28 named Whimsy.

Attached Files:

9. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

Oh, a sail plan also.

Attached Files:

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I have a great pic of my B28 under spinnaker in a race, I will see if I can get it up on the thread, (with the help of my computer guru Son).

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

28 details

OS7, You and several others have often commented on how well you liked the 28. Would you care to elaborate? I really like the size, but what features made it special? Also, was it a later design from the 24? B

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes the B28 was a later design than the B24. But not by much.
    The B28 was not a "Stretched" B24, but incorporated all of the B 24's good features. It had a comfortable and protected cockpit. It would sleep 5 in comfort.(three singles, one double). The double being the cabin bench seat folded down.
    With a crew of five we would sleep on the boat at a visiting yacht club.
    IE:- We would race across Lake Ontario to a club on the American North shore, stay the night aboard and race back the next day.
    On overnight races with four crew, there would be three in the bunks and one on the helm, taking two hour watches.
    Of course it didn't always work out that way.
    I remember in one triangular overnight race across Lake Ontario, I was on the helm all night whilst Lock Crowther, Logan Apperley and my wife Jillian were all in Bye-Bye land. I took to my bunk in the mornings light and so missed out on all the interesting racing sailing that occurred during the rest of the day. :(
    It had a proper galley, with plenty of food storage cupboards, A proper toilet and "walk thru" feature to the bow bunk area. The centreboard trunk was incorporated in the front of the cabin bench seat and so did not intrude on cabin space. A 10 hp outboard motor was mounted on a standard lifting bracket on the transom and was great for no wind/flat water motoring, but was no use in a windy chop. It was much better to just sail the boat.
    Under reefed sail we survived one wild night where other boats lost their rudders, masts and one boat actually sank.
    Over the years I have built, owned, cruised and raced seven multihulls---but the B28 was the best of them all. :D
    I just wish I could get my hands on a set of B28 plans. I would make them available once again, as I have done with the B24.
    If anyone has a set of B28 plans left over from building ,even if they are in rough shape but capable of being restored, then please PM me. I wiii pay good money to buy or lease them.

13. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I've seen several times people having B28 plans on the forum and wanting to share them. Here two that I could find back.

And..

(for those not familiar with the forum; click ‘‘>>’’ in the quote to go to that post)

So availibilty seems not the problem. But how about the rights if one would reproduce and sell them? Is one allowed to do so and is the buyer allowed to build a boat from them? I'm also asking myself this in regarding to the B24 plans which seems to be sold quit a lot (at a reasonable price) through the forum.

Cheers,
    Angel

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I saw Zigzag asked for B33/B36 plans (post #4 above and here in post #196).

I've seen a ad for a B33 for sale with a set of original plans. If interested I can see if I can find it back.

Cheers,
    Angel

15. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I don't think there is a copyright problem. They are way past that. Hulls were not copyright in that time frame. Building in those days, not sure of current times, was not protected, it was simply reproduction of plans. And that was not easy to enforce. What you are really paying for is the relationship with the designer, and the right to use his name in resale. I don't know whether it is right to refer to it as a Crowther though, but it is also wrong not to attribute it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.