40 foot 1940 Elco (Cruisette?): HELP!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Doctor Dave, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave New College FL,Sailing Sq

I've recently rescued an Elco and she's in need of a total refit. Looks as if the seacocks were opened and she went down at the slip. Now, I've got to remove 20 plus years of boogered-in additions and hack woodwork. PLUS, the twin gas Chryslers are skunked. I'm considering a switch to diesel. Electrical harness has been burned. Not a problem for me, but engines are. Originals were 120 HP each. What you think of Yanmars or Isuzus? 4-71s?

So...

Anyone with photos or first hand knowledge about these Elcos, please jump on here. The fantail is spongy and is being ripped up and replaced with red oak and tung oil. The hull is black African mahogany and is still really hard to a knife point. No other soft spots that I've found..yet.

This is a port side helm... odd. It was explained to me that it might of been used originally as a coastal air/sea rescue boat in WW2. Captian on Stbd, with helmsman on port. It's possible... but not really looking at the saloon.

Some schmuck ripped off my wheel. I'll need a replacement.

So that's all the news that's fit to print. Looking forward to your comments.

Dave

2. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave New College FL,Sailing Sq

Elco. May she rest in peace.

In July of 2003, this unlicensed marina owner saw fit to unplug this and three other vessels tied at his location during a large thunderstorm. Three of the four boats went down. The Elco was among the casualties. This project is no more.

Beware of an older fellow named Lee Auslander attemping to resell this Elco, as it has extensive bottom damage and bad engines. According to the local marina, this is a common scam for this fellow. (Longboat Key, FL.)

Dave

3. rmacmillan2

rmacmillan2 New Member

I have an original 44 foot, 1939 Elco. Do you want pictures?
    Bob

4. CaptScot

CaptScot Junior Member

Elco 1939

Hello Bob,

I have a 1939 Elco 53. Some years ago I went to Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut who has a collection of Elco factory documents, ledgers and photos. Elcos had a hull number (six digit) and a builder's number (four digit) on a metal plate. If you know either Mystic can look up and copy the original work order for your boat. When I was there I got a copy with my boat listed which gives some specs, first owner, engines, dates and boat's name. There are other Elcos listed on this page of which are seven 44' Elcos being built that year. If you have either number I may have your boat listed.

Scott

5. Scott:

Thanks very much. I'll get back to you with the numbers after retrieving them from the boat.

Bob

6. SeaTowBeaufort

SeaTowBeaufort New Member

Where can I find the metal plate with the hull number and builder number.