How to obtain the maximum righting arm of a righting arm curves?

Discussion in 'Education' started by xichyu, Apr 12, 2016.

1. xichyu

xichyu Junior Member

Areas under righting arm curves are carried out using 2nd order integration. Likewise, the
    maximum righting arm is determined by a series of predictions and trials based on 2nd order
    interpolation.
    But I do not know the concrete details
    How to obtain the maximum righting arm of a righting arm curves?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

For the point of maximum abscissa of a GZ curve [y = f (x)] you need to determine the point to which the first derivative is zero: dy / dx = 0.
    This you could get two points. Choose the one that has a positive orderly.
    There are other not so simple methods.

3. xichyu

xichyu Junior Member

Thanks

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

On a cartesian coordinate system, it is the highest point on the curve. Depending of the degree of precision you need, a simple visual inspection may be enough. Even though the maxima of a curve can be calculated easily by integration, most stability curves do not have a precise equation to describe them. Often they are approximated during the design process and later corrected by inclination tests.

5. xichyu

xichyu Junior Member

In some cases the top is not obvious, may be flat or double humped

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

As stated by the OP, there may be relative maximums that are not so easy to find. It seems that the OP knows better than you what he is talking about.
    That's something no responsible designer would dare to do.
    The maximum of a curve can not be found by integration. That is nonsense.
    All curves, including stability (GZ or DN values) can be defined by a precise mathematical equation, or set of equations.
    In the design process you calculate several values, which can not be changed with the data obtained from the inclining experiment. When you do experiment long months have passed since you made the project and the boat, of course, is already built.
    The project data and curves are not corrected. The stability booklet based on the data of experience is made. But this is a completely different thing and sometimes it is not even the designer who does the experience.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Designing and calculating graphically has been done for centuries and still is used with success.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Of course, but that has nothing to do with what you say in your post # 4, which are nothing but totally incorrect statements.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

So you say that the highest point on a curve on a Cartesian coordinate graph is not the maxima?

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

No, I did not say that at any time. Do not try to divert attention to another site. Reread what you have written in your post # 4, which are nothing but nonsense, and what I answer in post # 6.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It says:"On a cartesian coordinate system, it is the highest point on the curve'
    How about you stop you bad attitude and insults, stop hi-jacking threads and stick to the subject. Many posters have stopped asking questions because of you.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That's your opinion and certainly respect it. However, as everything is written, everyone can see that I at any time have insulted you or have sabotaged a thread. I just correct certain things you say that are not right and that show a complete misunderstanding of the issues being addressed. And I think I do it politely.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I agree TANSL, it seems or at least it appears many of your posts, are to directly attack or correct some minor level of semantics by Gonzo. In fact, it seems or at least appears this is your only contribution to many threads. Additionally, once I see both of your screen names, bounce back and fro in a thread, I stop participating, knowing it will simply descend into a pissing fight over some usually minor mis-statement or observation.

This thread is a classic example. Only 12 posts, 5 by you, 4 by Gonzo and 3 by the OP. All of the OP's posts where in the very first portion of the thread, the rest, your attempts to make observations to Gonzo's posts. I've seen this many times previously and this thread will dissolve into this pissing contest thing and a tit for tat spiral into uselessness, in terms of contributing to this thread.

We all mis-speak from time to time, it happens, but to intentionally seek out or hunt for these, just so you can point out your position or what you feel an appropriate response, particularly against a single forum member, just isn't acceptable behavior. You have a choice which threads to participate in.

1 person likes this.
  14. xichyu

xichyu Junior Member

Thanks for all of you! Sincerely!

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A double humped stability curve is very common. When it has a flat area where the maxima is, the usual graphical solution is to go a fixed distance to the right and left from either side of the flat. Then you pick the center point.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.