4 missing off Florida coast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rasorinc, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

did they recover the boat yet
    if not and they stayed with it
    they could last for days

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, the boat has been recovered. The survivor was found sitting on it.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my *** would be tied to the keel
    I wish them all the best
    the ocean is a big place to go looking for someone

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Search called off

Just now I heard that the Coast Guard has called off the search for the remaining 3 missing men. They made the decision that no one could survive
    this length of time in the water. Assuming that their life vests (type unknown) did not come off them then we should have found floating bodies. I believe marine life probably consumed them. I do not expect the Coast Guard to say that but it is my belief. May God treat them well. Stan (human error caused this loss) New boaters to ocean boating please take heed.

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

This was caused by human error. Why?"?? and please everyone add anything and everthing you feel should be listed.

1. Did not stay with the boat
    2. did not have a floating marine radio or auto distress signal. 9. Don't go offshore very far W/O a kicker engine.
    3. Were not wearing life vests at the time of accident. 10. carry floating water bottle
    4. Did not tie themselves together.
    6. Anchoring in chop.
    7. Out beyond boat and operators ability
    8. Did not check weather.

Please add to this list. Thank you, Stan

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't want to speculate about being consumed by sea life, though they're likely being so now. They could have hit their heads as they went over, knocking them unconscious and out of breath, which will cause them to sink as their lungs filled. We will not know much until a statement is released by the survivor. I suspect he never saw them once he'd surfaced.

Most of us in the coastal areas are not unfamiliar with these types of events. It doesn't make one less sympathetic towards their families, but we do tend to get accustomed to people "no braining" themselves into an unrecoverable situations.

The cascade of errors that nets these types of occurrences, is an often too familiar one to folks that have researched these types of incidents. A progressively worsening spiral of mistakes, errors and blunders builds to an inescapable conclusion, whereas the results are usually less then desirable. Every so often, someone manages to break out of this cascading spiral, typically by not continuing the pattern and making defined actions toward a positive outcome.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The man rescued said they were all at the boat till about 2am Sunday and all had on life vests.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

not trying to sound insensitive of anything but how much is a good survival suet these days

I saw pictures of the guy they rescued clinging to the overturned boat
    no way four people could hang onto that thing in rough water
    they needed to tie off first thing
    as kids we got in trouble a few times and it scares the crap out of you to be floating round helpless
    teaches you a few things

the following teaches you that sometimes
    you get lucky

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Saved

Boston, thank you for posting that video. It is an educational tool and might help someone in the future. Don't leave a floating boat........................
    Again, thanks much, Stan

10. El Sea

El Sea Junior Member

We have been watching this closely here in St Petersburg. I question why they were anchored, was it for fishing, mechanical problem or weather related. When I saw the news footage of their truck and trailer, I thought about them filling up the fuel tank from a gas station. I clean tanks everyday and ethanol related issues are my biggest customers and here in Florida we have been forced to endure ethanol gas. Also in one of the news footage during the rescue I saw what looked like the anchor rode hanging aft of midship. The water being only 65-68 degrees is not a good sign for finding any more survivors.

11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Having spent eight years with the Canadian Coast Guard in search and rescue, I learned this expression to be true, unfortunately:
    "There are old mariners and bold mariners but there aren't to many old, bold mariners."
    Tom

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Nor old bold pilots

13. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

Those are some relevant videos with great lessons to be learned.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

makes a great life preserver and its got a better chance of being spotted
    I swear it was the first and last thing they teach in any water safety class
    that and never split up

15. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

True. As i said before I learned at age 12 not to leave a floating boat, earning my rowing merit badge.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.