4 Meter mono foiler project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 27, 2008.

1. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

nice vid

(from the M4 site)

Specification
    Waterline length: 4m
    Overall length: 4.25m
    Beam (hull): 0.4m
    Beam overall: 2.4m
    Mast height: 6.5m
    Sail Area: 9-10 sqm
    Hull Weight: 20kg
    Sailing weight: 45kg

well, the all up seems to be about 10lb more, and the sail area looks to also be about 11-22sqf less. so if the M4 goes, so should the SR-71. It almost makes me want to put more sail on it, but having more canvas than a MPS would be silly.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Your SA is 10.75 sq.m, right?

3. wind_apparent

11sqm

4. wind_apparent

I was talking to a windsurfing buddy today about a new sail that he just purchased (he now has a quiver of 9 different sails), it got me thinking, what do you all think about having three sails available for a boat like this? maybe 12.5sqm 11sqm 9.5sqm like windsurfing. So instead of 1 max sail size. 3 different sail sizes. I know its alot of $$$$$$ to start off, but after your buy in, all the sails would last longer. I was thinking about it because this is a foiler, so you want it to foil, 12.5sqm turns a nonfoiling day into a foiling day, 9.5sqm turns a overpowered day into a ripper, and the average 11sqm will work real nice in your 10-15 blow. Just a thought.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Good idea,but why don't you come up with a viable reefing system? The RS600FF rig is reefable-when the boat was sailed as a seahugger that system was hardly used -now that it foils they're finding it invaluable.
    ----------
    "So we started developing the RS600 and seeing how it would convert to being used for foils, and I have to say Clive Everest [the original designer of the RS600] designed virtually the perfect boat for foiling, although he probably didn’t realise it at the time! Now with the RS600FF, we have a foiling boat that works for people weighing between 70 to 95kg, it’s one-design, and with the original RS600 reefable rig you can sail the boat a long way up the wind range.”

6. wind_apparent

a reefable sail is an option, but I do see it having some drawbacks:

A) don't think it would work very well with the Pocket luff/camber induced sail technology
    B) windage windage windage
    C) the 12.5sqm would only be used on the lightest days, so the sail would be reefed a lot.
    D) I hope to move back to the Portland,OR area soon (within the next year), so I probably won't be needing a bigger sail myself. (read GORGE)

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

12.2 sq.m would be the same as the RS600FF-what a power to weight ratio you'd have then....

8. wind_apparent

Read; Scary

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Fear breeds courage(sometimes)

10. wind_apparent

so does stupidity. (sometimes) :D

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

But if YOU don't design a working reefing system for this type of boat then how will the **** **** be able to use it on his imaginary foiler?

Design it himself you ask? I'll wait for the laughter to die down now...

12. wind_apparent

Cutting

well, It has begun again, cut out the strongback/frame today (the real one this time). Scott "Murf" Murphy doing what he does. Hopefully I'll put it together tomorrow.

Attached Files:

13. yachtyakka

yachtyakka Junior Member

here are the latest images of the R class

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. wind_apparent

that's a great boat, very nice renderings. Hope it has a wide enough appeal to where I can take a spin on one in the States some time. Do you know who is heading up this project?

15. foilman24

foilman24 Junior Member

It looks like the revolution is on its way, and none of dougs "boats" are anywhere in sight. We have a single handed dinghy (moth), a singlehanded trapeze dingy (Sr-71), a two handed foiling skiff (R class), and an all out 3 man super foiler (mirabaud). so where are you going to fit in doug? better start your dumb canting keel sports foiler before theres nothing left for you. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.