4 Meter mono foiler project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Sam, have you built a boat before? Are you doing it in an environmentally controlled area?

2. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

Doing most of it in some warehouse space at work, and some parts in my heated garage. I have a painter friend thats going to shoot it at his shop. All vacuum bagging is going to have to happen at my work space because of the altitude. (not enough atmosphere at my house, 3000ft higher than boulder). But yes I should be fine.

3. yachtyakka

yachtyakka Junior Member

The R Class is a 12'9'' 2 person development skiff. a few guys have been developing foils for the past couple of years. The current national Champs are about to trial there latest blades.

You will find a link on my links page 4 down from the gingerbreadman

http://yachtyakka.co.nz/links/

4. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

a boat for all seasons

Nothing special on the skimmer in the foil department Doug, in fact very conventional - however the double rigs will be wing mast/soft sail combinations and the after rig will be inclining (to get it away from dirty air when sailing on the wind.
    If I draw a version of your 16-17 foot craft, it won't have any bloody lead, just water ballast, which can be quickly taken on, or dumped - haven't worked it out how to do it yet.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Gary,thanks - I have a comment and a question I'll post in the foiling keelboat thread.

6. wind_apparent

Looked into it, and it looks awesome, I will be nice to have a double handed foiler class out there. (one turn closer in the revolution :D )

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

While others were out sailing their boats over the holiday weekend it seems the **** **** sat at the computer again. If he had kept his "foiler" that only needed "small changes" he could have been foiling away all weekend, oh so much fun. Why on earth would you bin a perfectly good "foiler"?

Instead of foiling all weekend he sat home and and posted feverishly about:

A ridiculous idea for a fixed keel foiling dinghy.

America's Cup "Foilers".

Dragging Gary B's interesting project into the "foiling" world.

Results of a fun regatta half way around the world, contradicting the guy who won

and again tries to tell AW how to build his foiler. Here's a hint, he doesn't need you.

Sadly, the reports of AW's design and build have sent the ******* over the edge. After at least 6 years of posting foiler, foiler, canter, foiler spew across cyberspace ol' ******* still hasn't designed/built a functioning foiler.

But now AW has posted for a couple of months and has started his project in a very straighforward way that will give a good chance for success within the year. What, oh what will poor ******* do?

After not stepping up to the challenge of building his own monstrosity that would surely fail and cause him even more ridicule he goes full throttle on every other crazed notion he can think of.

"Lookit me Mommy, lookit me." he cries as the other kids congratulate AW on his logical, artistic, and "live" project.

**** *** likes to call people liars, but he can't tell anyone anything about how his prior failure "foiled". His story has changed a couple of times at least, so here's another challenge for him. Tell us the following about your "foiling" on the red paddleboard:

Times, Dates, and locations of the foiling:
    Pilot Name (and weight) of the craft at the time it foiled:
    Who else was present:
    Duration of the foiling (time):
    Height above the water (amplitude):
    Speed at lift off:
    Top speed:
    Did you "Veal Heel":
    What was the pitch at lift off:
    What was the pitch while foiling:
    How much change in crew position was required to make the change in pitch:
    What point of sail were you foiling at:
    What changes did you make just after lift off:
    When it came off the foils what was the reason, and how did it come off:

You see *******, liars can't give specifics, and you've given none of the above. Some people claim your paddleboard went in the water with sails up one time, on the day you say it didn't foil due to light breeze, then went off to the side of the barn for the duration.

Care to tell us how many times it sailed, and of those times how many times did it foil? Care to tell us why you have photos of it not foiling, but none of the times it did?

I'll bet not. Liars can't give out the info that can get them caught.

8. wind_apparent

The "Head Carbon Monkey" himself

I'm very excited to announce that Mike Cooke from Aardvark Technologies in the UK has agreed to come on as the project "Foil Development Advisor". I will be designing and building the foils and moulds myself, but Mike has agreed to help me out with all my questions and give me pointers on the process and system setup. There are so many things that are "secret" in the foiling game (control systems, flap size, wing tips, foil taper, ect.). It will be very helpful to have a master foil craftsman to take some of the voodo out of the process. I can't wait to start working with him on the design aspect of my lifting foils, and my bow mounted wand system.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Congratulations!

10. foilman24

foilman24 Junior Member

I was on SA digging through everyone's personal information :)D) I noticed that WA's birthday is June 18, and Doug's birthday is June 17, does that make him the "Bizzzaro Doug" :?:

(I also saw that the Mirabaud guy's birthday is June 18, do you have to be born in mid June to be a Foil freak?)

1 person likes this.
  11. wind_apparent

yup, you figured it out, I'm from another reality where foilers are built and sailed on actual water by humans sitting "on" the boat. :p

And as you have guessed "Thomas Jundt" is my long lost twin foiling brother who is just 20 years older than me. :confused:

12. wind_apparent

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know, I know, but what I want you to do is compare these two pictures:

they are eerily similar, but do you notice a difference? (I'll give you a hint, its not the bow wand either)

Pic #1 Doug, Pic #2 Mike Cooke

Attached Files:

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I was going to guess the bow wand. Obvioulsly the wrong choice. I know 'cause I've read it on the internet.

14. wind_apparent

then, look at these two as well.

Attached Files:

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

From what I read on the internet those photos are misleading.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.