4 Meter mono foiler project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 27, 2008.

1. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

I rode an 06' ASX for a couple seasons, then I got sick of hurting myself jumping off of things, so I recently switched back to just cruzing my transition hardtail.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I know what you are talking about, the healing part gets tougher as the years rip by. Mountian biking has given me a lot of pleasure over the years, but it has also provided a fractured wrist, bruised ribs, a torn rotator cuff, dislocated thumb, interesting gouges, tears, and road rashes, etc, etc.

Aren't you afraid of hurting yourself when you are "jumping" your new foiler?

You are setting it up for JUMPING, aren't you? Isn't that the only reason to build a foiler?

By the way, it sounds very cool that you have expertise in so many critical build disciplines right at your fingertips. Sounds like things should go pretty smoothly, or as smoothly as a custom build can go.

3. wind_apparent

Um, believe it or not, no, I hope to never jump it (thats what windsurfers are for), But I am afraid of crashing it and smashing into the stays. (so much so that I'm putting plumbing foam on them and wearing my dirt lid helmet untill I get the hang of it, maybe my shin guards, knee pads, and chest protector too). Maybe I should just start talking to RaceFace about making a line of "freesail" body armor for crazy trapfoiler sailors. :D

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Then again, of course, you could always go with an unstayed mast...(Van Dusen)

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Maybe you should talk to O'Neil and have them build you a Michelin Man springsuit (TM). The market for Trapfoilers (TM) must be HUGE. I'm taking out a patent today on mono-bi-foilers with trapeze and foam pads on the rigging. I'll send you an invoice when you infringe.

No JUMPING? Blasphemy!

I paid my way through uni by working at a boat dealership. We sold Hobies, among other things. Every buyer received free lessons, so I spent a lot of time on the water during those years.

One thing we liked to do was take the "advanced" students (more than 2 hours of sailing) and their new boats out in big breeze during a big south swell. Off of one of the offshore oil platforms there was an area that would break under those conditions.

You could rip along on a reach until you got to the wave, then head up just a bit and "fly". Actually only about half the boat would come out of the water, but it felt like full flight. There were times when the speed and swell came together just right (wrong?) and most or all of the boat would release. Not having aero pitch control at that point produced very unhappy results. The shrouds left a lasting, er, "impression".

No doubt it will be easier on your boat, perched atop two foils, compared to a very stable beach cat.

6. wind_apparent

the only boats I've ever sailed with unstayed mast is laser, sunfish, and opti. So
    I don't know that much about them.....I think mirabaud is unstayed, but I don't know how they work, care to share?

7. bistros

bistros Previous Member

I don't know if you want to be the guy sailing the ....

Stayfree Maxi Foiler! ... with wings!

8. wind_apparent

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If they want to sponsor me I would. ;)

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

After much searching I think I found an ideal builder: Ted Van Dusen,Van Dusen Racing sailboats. For a 215 sq.ft main the mast would be 28' and about 40 lbs. and $2800;shipping adds about $300(2 weeks ago).
    A guesstimate on your boat would be around 18lb's and $1800 depending whether you go with high modulus or not. E-mail Ted if you're seriously interested and know the "bury" dimension: how far from the deck or upper mast step support to the bottom of the mast step. That should be as close to the bottom as possible. Need to be able to show him a sail plan, mast length and max RM. My mast step will be a rectangular box allowing for rake changes and small F&A movement.

http://www.vandusenracingboats.com/
    ----------------------
    edit: Mirabaud is not unstayed
    heres a pix of a van dusen stick on a monoslug

Attached Files:

10. wind_apparent

Maybe next time.....................

11. wind_apparent

I didn't know for sure that mirabaud had an unstayed rig, I just read it on the internet somewhere, I guess thats what I get for not doing my research.

12. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Monoslug?!!

Doug, are you saying that all monohulls are slugs now? Am I detecting a quantum shift in the red layer in your thinking? And here I thought you defined monoslugs as all the boats in the single hulled category. Well, save for the rare Maxi-Pad with a canting keel? No wings unless you count that ugly-*** thing in blue from England and that dunce cap effort from Kiwi land in the '88 AC. Those were definitely Maxi-Pads with Wings.

Are all the Melges Sportboats monoslugs?

Are the Antrim Sportboats monoslugs? (and Paul don't start another harangue of yours or I'll wack your privates with a ruler ;-) )

Come on Doug, we really need something like a consistent take from you, or the whole boating ideology that I have brewed together just goes BLEWEY!

Your buddy,

Chris

PS: This monofoiler thing is just taking so long that the inevitable sidebars are going to develop....... tongue now removed from cheek

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Mr. Ostlind ,monoslug was meant to be humorous. I'll refrain from using the term most of the time.

Attached Files:

14. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Yeah, Doug, I got that. It's just a little bit of fun making with no real harm intended.

I do think you have some interesting ideas to offer to Sam and I know that some of the stuff you've put up has given him a reason to think a bit harder on his solutions.

Chris

15. wind_apparent

Chris is this directed at me?

this is true, but I always weigh any new piece of data, no matter what the source. If it's better than what I have, I change my mind, Dogma has no place in development. Like I've said before, conflict is the prerequisite for growth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.