Outboard Motors

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by WickedGood, Sep 25, 2010.

1. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Outboard Motors should be simple.

Why cant someone make a quality little inexpensive motor like the British Seagull or the Elco.

[​IMG]

Dont forget to Post Feedback for me and Vote Positive Rep Points just to drive Apex1 Nuts!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Basicly outboards haven't changed that much over the years !.
    The Motors still at the top standing on its end ,theres a gear box at the bottom with forward and reverse and a pump mounted round the shaft to pump water to cool the motor .
    Its all the other junk thats the causes of the problem . For the sake of trying to get more power lots a things get added to Boost performance and reliability .
    We also have to have extra strength so it doesn't break or fall apart when you open the throttle and all those extra well feed horses want to jump at the same time .
    We do have a means of trimming the motors now that took a while to come to surface.
    The other thing that doesn't seem to have changed that much over the many years is Propellers !!They still look the same as 40 years ago . But i will say theres lots more to props than first meets the eye !. :rolleyes:

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you need something unreliable, poluting and heavy as a British Seagul, you are looking for a onboard hobby and not an outboard.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I admit to the heavy and polluting part of a SeaGull, but damn I couldn't kill mine. It always started, it was always loud and smoked like a coal fired furnace, but it always started.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...as long as it had fresh fuel anyhow.....stale fuel, you will pull the cord till ya fingers fall off.....

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...oh and where do you get a new plug from, certainly not the local garage...remember.....

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....some things are best forgotten.....

8. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Wicked,

Current emmisions law in the US has effectively outlawed small 2 stroke engines. They are somewhat available used, but prices have skyrocketed for them due to sailboat racers that are hyper weight sensitive. I think Honda makes a <30lbs outboard still, but thats it.

9. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Lets take the theroy that I were to make small outboards in my garage to sell.

Can you point me in the proper direction to obtain all the legal information regarding selling outboard motors

What has to be addressed for compliance to emmisions law in the US.

What about importing Cheap 2 stroke outboards into the USA?

[​IMG]

Dont forget to Post Feedback for me and Vote Positive Rep Points just to drive Apex1 Nuts!

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can sell used outboards without problems. There are many areas, specially inland, where two strokes are banned.

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

12. srimes

srimes Senior Member

You should be ok if you start with new small engines. See b+s 5h and go devil mud motors.

13. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

The relavent critera is found in : 40 CFR part 1045 Exhaust emission standards for 2010 and later model year engines.

The question is f you are going to build your own motor or just the parts around it. If you are designing and building a motor it must be cretified, if you are just designing the ancillary components you can piggy back on an already aproved power plant.

See http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title40/40cfr1045_main_02.tpl

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Absolutely right to follow the EPA. The fine can be high as $10,000 if you are caught with a new engine that do have passed the EPA regulation.
    So the manufacturer has to do the job, or the custom will not let the engine in. It happened with someone who imported ATV from China. They still at the custom warehouse.
    So yes it is possible, but careful with the regulation, they are not kidding.
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.