Visually pleasing profile

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nojjan, Jul 31, 2007.

?

Which do you like best?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2007.
  1. Profile 1

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Profile 2

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Profile 3

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Which do you like best?

Attached Files:

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

They all look the same to me, except for the shearline. I like #1, as I favor lobsterboat types, and can envision that one as a sleek, fast "picnic boat" style. Are the transoms intended to look round? Don

3. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Yes, the transom is round intentionally. I am not sure what kind of running effects that would produce but I find it pleasing to the eye !! ;-)

4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I voted for #2.

5. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

depends on the overall style of the boat, what type of superstructure you want. If you are looking for the sportfisher type, I'd go with 2 or 3. If you want a picnic boat, lobster boat look, I'd vote 1

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Water addict said it well.

7. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

No. 1 looks like a sail/row boat
    No. 2 looks like a power boat
    No. 3 looks like an aubergine

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Bollocks! It's obvious that #2 looks like an aubergine!

I'm with the others - it really depends what the rest of the boat looks like. Though I do think that aesthetically, there's a hint too much reverse sheer in #3

The rounded transom will have a marginal effect on the amount of lift generated by the aft sections of the boat, but since the bulk of the lift is generated much further fwd, it will be of little consequence. There are plenty of succesful planing hulls about that don't have blunt butts..

9. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

To give a better perspective see attached (version #2 shown, not that it can be seen). It is intended as a transport/fishing/island-hopping boat, i.e. versitile. It is still missing a center console.

BR / Jon

Attached Files:

10. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I voted for #1, but with this perspective I think I'd go for #2.

11. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

Many of the Chesapeake Bay deadrise boats had round sterns as did the Bartenders. For better planning, they had large one piece trim tabs.

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I chose #1. I admit to a prejudice against reverse sheers, especially reVERSING sheers. Style for the sake of style never makes sense to me on a boat any more than it does on a house. This boat is not what I'm talking about----- a hogged bow is useful in limiting spray-in-the-face. I would do the same with flare, Maine lobster boat style, but I appreciate the function and form of a gentle reversing sheer on the right boat.
    #1 is just my own subjective favorite.

Alan

13. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Style for the sake of style is what sells in many cases today, I see it all the time. However, I am a firm believer in "form-follows-function". The intension with a slightly reversing sheer is to make the fore-deck more comfortable and safe to stand on. Here in northern Europe most small boats are entered over the bow. I will add handrails and non-slip surface but it helps to have a more level surface.
    BR / Jon

14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I never thought of that, Nojjan. You are either east or west coast, guessing Stockholm area. My first wife was Swedish. We lived in Helsingborg and then in Goteborg. I was only there for a few months, so I didn't have the opportunity to see much of the boating culture.
    The bow-on entry seems to indicate a shortage of slip space in your country, and a solution that dispenses with space-eating "finger docks".
    The difference probably lies in the tides. Ours are 11-25 feet.
    I would guess that sailboats are generally entered stern-on?

Alan

15. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I live in Gothenburg (on what is sometimes referd to as the "front side" or "salty side" of Sweden). Most small to medium size boats here are entered over the bow, sail or power. I am not sure of why but it could have to do with the excessive island day-sailing. People take their boats out for a spin (sail or power) and go out to some island and tie up to the sloping rock-face and the only way to do this is to go bow first. This is also why almost all nordic produced boats (Windy, Targa, Nimbus etc.) have open pulpits.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.