Detroit 453 oil change

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Zappi, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Hi, I am attempting to change the oil and filters on my Detroit 453s.
    Where do I want to extract the oil from? It currently isn't set up with a hose to the drain plug which seems like the right way to do it. How would the oil have been drained without that system? Pump thru the dipstick tube??? I was thinking the fill hole would work but it has a screen in it so thats a no go.
    Any opinion and/or experiences would be grrreat!
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

You should try to get the drain plug off. The metallic residue is down there. Suggestions:
    Read about correct oils to use.
    Perhaps have oil tested instead of replaced.
    If you do get plug off, replace with hose to use drain.
    Remember to replace oil when warn.
    Also change filter and remeber to fill before starting.
    Have lots of oil onhand - I have 671s and I think it is 5 gallons each of oil per change.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

What ever you do to get out the oil remember to install 40wt CFII oil ONLY ..

Its getting harder but find but the DD dealer has it and Shell Rotella T 40wt has the CFII (required for 2 strokes) oil.

If you go to the DD dealer pick up a couple of oil sample kits.

You put some of the removed oil in the plastic bottle and send it off to the lab.

Best is to do this with EACH oil change .\

Oil needs to be changed on TIME as well as hours of use.

The hand pumped vacum setup is about $50 and will suck all the HOT oil out thru the dipstick hole.

FF

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Hi FF,
    I remember to change oil to spec oil but I forgot as to why. I also remember there was something about coolant also.

5. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Picked up the moeller vacuum system. It was a pretty painfree oil change but took some time to pump it all out. I used Dello 100 which was recommended for 2 stroke diesels. I am pretty sure its about the same as the Rotella. Thanks for the advice. It made a seemingly daunting task, quite simple.

6. El Sea

El Sea Junior Member

Changed my oil last week, the 4-53 takes 5 gallon. I have a drain line from the pan to a gate valve then rubber hose to a 12 vdc utility pump, then a rubber hose to a bucket. The pump is reversible and is used to remove and refill and can be picked up at Harbor Freight for about $25.

Good Luck,

Luther Carrier
    1976 Thompson 44
    Suite 44

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

All Detroits in the past had bypass oil filters , then later models were changed to full flow.

If yours is a full flow a simple adapter will let you switch to spin on , which is a great mess saver.

Just be sure to pre fill the spin on before you install it.

The bypass (if your engine is that old) setup should use a bypass element in the housing for best reaults.

ANY brand oil IF it is CFII on the can , and is 40 wt not multi grade is just fine.

FF

8. El Sea

El Sea Junior Member

Our 4-53 was installed in a 1976 vessel so actual year is unknown. I have the spin on full flow filter however with it being in the vertical it will make a small mess if you are not careful. Paper towels take care of that issue.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.