3d object convertor

Discussion in 'Software' started by yipster, Jul 24, 2006.

1. yipster

yipster designer

converts over 400 3d file formats but not all...
    easy small download at http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/

and i hear google is coming with a free 3d viewer?
    acrobat 3d is far from perfect and cost a grand

2. Sonadora

Sonadora Scatterbrain

3. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Hi Sonadora,

This is nice software for viewing various files, but it doesn't seem to convert file formats at all. I sure wish it did! I would love to convert between Mechanical desktop and Rhino, for example.

Bill

4. Sonadora

Sonadora Scatterbrain

BillyDoc,

You should be able to do this from MDT. I believe there is an IGES translator built in.

Rick

5. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Well yes, there is. But then you end up with a 3D mesh in Rhino that you really can't do anything with except admire. Or, anyway, I've never had much luck with it. The same is true going the other way.

Bill

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

If you are interested in free translation with some work involved then read if you want magic solution go buy a translator :)

Translation between rhino and cad this works fine and is free, some steps are involved but you can go form Autocad or MDT to rhino with a "clean" file using Acis and step.

save from MDT as a Acis and use the free translation services on:
    http://www.steptools.com/strepo/login.cgi?URL=/strepo/translate.cgi?

and convert form Acis to step and open the step file on rhino.

Or save from rhino as Acis file and download this viewer/converter from:

http://download.spatial.com/viewer/ACISHOOPSPartViewer1315_install.zip

and save the acis file as a lower version of Acis... for example save it to version 3 and MDT will be able to open it, it may open it now with out translation but it has work for me before.

In general Acad (MDT) and rhino don't play well specially complicated objects so success i will say is not limited is just that for some reason they just don't "play" as we would like.

Looking at the new version of Autocad seems that more "surfacing" is "coded" into the latest version of Autocad.

cheers

7. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Thanks CGN, that's good info to have!

A good part of my problem with MDT is that it is old (version 4) and I don't intend to "upgrade." Once burnt, twice shy as they say. Getting close to retirement anyway, so should be moot except for the boat. And for that I've been having pretty good luck with Rhino and Freeship. Actually, Freeship is amazing!

Bill

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.