3D models availability

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stumble, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Recently we have been discussing the possibility of opening up our entire database of roughly 50,000 3d models to customers. We haven't made any decisions about this, particularly since our files are stored as CnC executable files and are concerned about loosing control of the files.

That being said, I am curious if having this database available as a benefit of being a customer would interest any of the designers?

Not being more than passingly familure with 3D CAD I am not sure how much of an advantage this would be to our customers.

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

115 views and no thoughts?

I am not just trying to poll designers, but anyone who uses CAD programs and might be interested in the models.

3. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Look on this site http://www.swagelok.com/ they have all products to download in a 3d files and companies use them for 3d design and when the product is produced they buy from them parts. I think in market where are used design 3D models this is good choice for a customers

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

Some companies make it incredibly difficult to obtain accurate drawings of their equipment. Other companies provide full 2d cad and some even provide 3d models. If I am designing a system I need to know the exact sizes of things. Sometimes I am forced to scale stuff off of photos or make other educated guesses. Life is a lot easier when I can just download an item and plug it into my drawing/model. Due to time constraints and other factors quite often the part that gets specified is the part I was able to find good info on. Somebody else might make a better one or a cheaper one but if I can just click a few well laid out links and get the info I need along with a 3d model I can plug right into my model I will design my system around that item and it will be the one I use in the specification. I can see no reason manufacturers would not put every bit of information they have out there. I shouldn't have to phone the head office 5 time zones away to find out what size a fan is available in. I shouldn't have to chase down distributors when I want to know the weight per volume of a foam core. And I shouldn't have to beg for a crappy scanned drawing of a rotary vane pump. Because you know what I will just go with the other guys who put that stuff on the website.

No you don't want to put cnc executables on the net. Designers don't need that much info and it will just bog down the model. What designers need is exact exterior dimensions. If there is a connection point (an inlet/outlet, bolting location, attachment points for additional accessories) we need to know exactly where that is. So what should be uploaded would be simplified exterior models in a dumb format. A universal formal like iges or dwg is good both because almost every package out there can open them but also because they contain very little extra information. A solidworks build tree is lost for example.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts.

Right now we are planning on making the complete item available, because we don't have the free manpower to scale them down to just a frame. But that is something we will likely do in time.

The plan at least is to ask for a signed non-disclosure agreement with anyone who wants access to the files. Once that is on file, the entire library will be available, no extra steps, except for downloading what you need from the website.

The fun part is it work in reverse. Once you have an account, you can upload a 3d drawing, and we convert that to a file format that allows us to put it directly into production. Typically it takes about 2 days to get that done, and we can immediately start fabricating. Of course lead time depends on production method and complexity, but we aim for three weeks from order to deliver.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.