i need help - references to make my first mold

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Tato4all, May 24, 2011.

1. Tato4all

Tato4all New Member

i am new in fiber glass boat building and i want to make it my own business i have little experience in this field so can any one help me by any books or links related to this field specially hoe to make my first mold

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Before you make mould the plug you intend to use to make our mould off is critical . Need some pictures if possible please so we can see what you are making , get close up and personal and things done now can help you further down the track , there are some details that will assist you when making the mould even better so one step at a time . If you only have a little knowledge in the glassing field tell us basicly what you know and we will have a start ponit to carry on with . and help you . I have a sort of manual about glassing already partly written on my home computer that could help you a little . ITS about 30 plus pages long :eek: and that just the basic beginings . :D

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Junior Member

First Mould

Tato4all
    Here's a company that has books, dvd's and all the info you would need.
    The only other thing you will need is a bucket load of bucks as plugging up and good mould making using the RIGHT products can be costly, a committment to time, get the design right and do your home work on what it is you want to make if you plan to sell a number of them (I always say it costs NO more to make an ugly boat than a good looking one), Reasonably conventional is always safe as it's (molds) use lasts longer.
    Give these guys a go.
    CCP Cook Composites & Polymers.
    Kansas City,MO
    Ph(816)391-6000
    WWW.ccponline.com
    Ps. Dont forget you will also have to build one. $$$$$$$$$$$
    Pss You can also contact other resin,glass,gel suppliers for info and get as much info as you can,I've been in the industry for 36 years and still learning new techniques.

4. Tato4all

Tato4all New Member

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

I suggest you hire someone with the expierence to get your project off the ground the right way the first time.

The money you spend to hire an experienced fiberglass man and tool maker will more than offset the waste you will experience in a do it yourself learning curve.

You just can't learn to do this from a book or a DVD, you can by being at the side of someone experienced.

Steve

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Or work as an apprentice in a polyester shop for some time.