HELP!! Boat Design in need

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mjboats, Apr 7, 2010.

1. mjboats

mjboats Junior Member

Hello all, i am looking make a wooden boat, I would like something that is 30-36 inches at the widest and about 7-8ft long, only big enough for one person. i would like it to look sporty but be functional... Any Ideas please help!!! I can can build no problem, but designing a boat that can hold the weight and look sweet is a bit different...Any pictures, drawings and links would be so helpfull,,,,Thanks amillion in advance and it will be trailered

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

MJ,

I have a boat that might fit the bill for you.

It's called Pundit. It is 10' in length and has a 30" beam. The paddler sits nearly on the bottom of the hull, much like a kayak and uses a double bladed paddle. It's built in marine plywood with fiberglass cloth set in epoxy. Light, maneuverable, easy to build and stylish. This boat can even be equipped with a Hobie Mirage Drive, if you'd like to stash the paddle and have a hands free ride.

Let me know if this works for you. I can be reached at: Chris@Wedgesail.com

Attached Files:

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well you did not say you wanted a canoe. so why not try design your own with a very simple programme called carene . Its free from www.eposxy-resins.co.uk...it draws out all the panels and you just stitchand glue ...

4. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

Where have you been all my life carene.

That just made my life a lot simpler.

Way better than carlson.

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

now stonepirate ..the trick is to do your basic design in Carene but then you find that the print out of the developed panels is too small ....so download a copy of Freeship ( not delftship it wont print ) and import the xyz files from carene into it .....then develop the panels in freeship (drop down menu..1 click ) ...if you zoom in you will find all the measurements on the panels . you can move them about on an imaginary piece of ply too ! .I just take a laptop to the workshop and mark out from that or you can print them out say A3 ...I dont like freeship other than for this it seems very messy to me unless you want a complex design.

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Just buy the freaken boat
    Daniel

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Chris, this forum is not a store. Please don't try to sell something here.
    Thank you
    Daniel

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Agreed, we don't want the forums to become "spammy" or a place where people try to hard sell, but if the original poster is asking for a design, I don't think there is anything wrong with someone mentioning one of their own that fits the requirements. A little more specificity in the original post (functional for what uses exactly?) would probably yield more response though.

1 person likes this.
  9. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Of course I understand.
    I really think the "Market Place" is good for that.
    Or we can say: gave me a PM.
    It is too tempting to go fishing for client in the forum, and say I have the exact boat you need.
    We are designer and I understand Chris want to help, but I think it is a fine line, mostly when you finish you statement with your e-mail address.
    It is quite a selling poster.
    I never advertise myself in the forum, I talk about my experiences as a designer and boatbuilder, and I mostly push other designer if I find it necessary.
    I like the freedom of the forum, since I don't sell I can be more open and talk about my mistakes.
    If we sell, all that freedom is gone.
    That was my point, but as I said I understand yours, and perhaps I see problems when they don't exist
    Daniel

10. mjboats

mjboats Junior Member

Thanks for the opinions, although if I wanted to buy the dumb thing i wouldnt be on the design forum now would I. And no I am not a solicitator I am just a young woodcraftsman trying to build something for my wife and I to enjoy for years to come.. Again thanks for all the great help.. To those of you with constructive info..

11. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well said MJ ......have a look at www.glen-l.com for ideas and dont forget to read my post at #5 re freeship and carene integration

12. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Holy Cow, boys. Post one suggestion as to a boat design that comes very close to what was being suggested and the roof falls in. At no point did I present the boat, the design of same, or the rendering for that matter, as a product for sale. I showed a couple of images, spoke to the rough dimensions and the potential and left an email address should the OP wish to ask any further questions.

Go back and read what he was asking for in his first post. He says he can build, OK, but doesn't know about designing a boat that might fit his very loosely specified criteria. The boat so shown satisfies much of his hit list and then some. So, where's the problem?

You folks should take a look at my email inbox for any given seven day period. I get, literally, several dozen queries about design issues from guys out there who wish to either build, or create, their own personal floating expression. I try very hard to answer every one of them in a timely fashion and unless someone asks directly about my plan sets, or the price for same, I simply do not get on my salesman's blazer and start hucking high pressure pitches at them. It's not the nature of what I do. I couldn't begin to tell you how many homebuilder/dreamers I have helped in the past ten years with no exchange of money at all. While I do sell plans for most of my design work, I'm much more interested in seeing nice people get out on the water and have a great experience.

I have a 35 year primary career as a professional architectural photographer and commercial film/video cameraman. I design boats because it's fun and I have an affinity for designing things. Believe me, if I were depending on this boat design craft to pay the college tuition bills for my kids, it would be a dark day indeed.

13. megsani

megsani Junior Member

Christ, I agree with you.

What makes a forum interesting, fun and a learning medium is the understanding and cordial contribution from members. Even if you disagree with the opinions please put them nicely and avoid being presumptious. I have been to many forums where members are so nice that they make newbies feel so welcome.

No offence meant to anybody.

megsani

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Chris to be honest I am the only one who disagree, the other member agree with you.
    You should have said: Holy Cow Daniel:D
    Ok I swim back, you explanation make sense
    Daniel

15. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

How functional? at 30-36" you'll need to sit very low, to stop it tipping at every turn, especially if it is not single hard chined.

You can get 2-3 people in at 8", if done right.

How will it be propelled?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.