3d HULL! HELP :(

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ptommy, May 20, 2016.

1. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

Thanks a lot PAR. Surely i considera anda i note your precious advices . thanks!! Saludos :)

2. vkstratis

vkstratis Naval Architect

Obviously scanning the mold is the "easiest" (requires lots of post-processing effort to get usable surfaces from the point-cloud) but does not give any hands-on practical experience. He would probably have a 3d-scanning company do it for him.

For someone with zero experience I would suggest a more traditional method. Go and measure the mold. You will see first-hand all the problems arrising, "feel" the lines, get to correct them, re-measure them and at the end you will know every inch of the boat you are going to design and make calculations for.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I totally agree.
    Neither a NA is required to know how to weld but if he acquires some practice in this discipline, it will be very beneficial to his work as a designer.

4. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

thanks a lot again !! yes, the yard owner can contract an extern company to scan the hull, it's the simplest ways , like you says.. but i can improve my ability with a "reverse enigeering work" like this one, and , in the same time, save money. the yard hasn't only a mold ..in this condition (without costruction plane) so learn the"traditional method" and repeat it efficaciously i think that would be the better! saludos :)

5. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

totally agree.. unfortunately, the major part (almost everything) of the NA recent graduated have a problematic GAP between knowledge( a lot) and practical experience(poor).i'm awake that fulling this gap means doing a big step ahead. thanks! saldos

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You do not have to justify or explain your lack of knowledge. On the contrary, what they have taught you in the "Escuela" is to address any problem and solve it reasonably well and, above all, to be able, like a sponge, to absorb new knowledge.

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Just ignore very negative comment some forum members has, just ignored them and don't feel bad. Concentrate on the positive ones which does solve the questions you have in your mind. Like the one's from PAR, TANSL, DAIQUIRE etc. They always are contributing to the solution instead of running a person down. Good luck with your studies. Bert

8. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

thanks a lot Bert!
    it' so so bert!

9. serow

serow Junior Member

Precis of proceedings plus my final word.

Ptommy: how can i do to obtain a 3d model hull starting by the mould?

serow: Come on ptommy. Are you trying to tell us you are a dab hand at calculus but can't measure a boat?

PAR: Just scan the darn mold.

vkstratis: Go and measure the mold.

TANSL You do not have to justify or explain your lack of knowledge. On the contrary, what they have taught you in the "Escuela" is to address any problem and solve it reasonably well and, above all, to be able, like a sponge, to absorb new knowledge.

Serow: What new knowledge is contained in this thread apart from the obvious? PAR made the only useful contribution but it turns out that it entails an outside contractor doing the work. Tansl Good luck with your search for a tailor with rare naval architectural abilities, by the way. Evening all.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't need an outside contractor, just a good digital camera and some white stickers. Again, do some research and find out how hard you want to make this project. It can be fairly simple or as complex as you like.

11. vkstratis

vkstratis Naval Architect

Speaking for myself, I believe I have suggested measuring the hull over scanning it for the purpose of gaining experience that in my opinion is essential. In addition, on a previous post I suggested a method for doing this.

In my opinion doing the job manually is a good opportunity to see at least once how this could be done without a 3D-scanner. Since even 3d-scanning requires a lot of processing effort and some experience to get useful surfaces and finally your lines, doing the job manually will get you these skills. I don't see how someone who has never done this manually will have lines out of a point-cloud easily. That is why I suggested measuring the hull over scanning it.

If you want to do this using photogrammetry you could also check this: http://www.rhinophoto3d.com/

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

My advice in this case is to perform the job "by hand" taking measures directly on the mold, but as always, everything depends on human resources and which tools are available at the shipyard as well as the size of the mold. It is not easy to obtain sufficiently precise hand data (if we try errors under 1 cm) and always requires further work of defining and smoothing of forms, for which we need also trained professionals.
    The same goes for 3D scanning, but the accuracy can be increased. The point cloud is used to generate surfaces that, from my point of view, should only be used to get the cross-sections which, in turn, allow us to obtain a single 3D model, suitable for use in any of the programs naval CAD on the market. All this involves using techniques that are not always in the hands of a small or mid-sizeded shipyard. Instead the "manual" system needs carpenters and/or loftmen, which are always available in a shipyard (your attention, please : these people need not be a NA nor the NA needs to be a loftman)

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All this talk about learning a new set of skills or hiring the yard, to perform tasks you can simply do yourself in an hour, with some targets and a camera, suggest many just haven't crawled around inside a significant mold in the hot sun for an afternoon, let alone tried to be reasonably accurate about it.

I don't care how big the boat is (within reason), I can place several hundred targets in an hour and get the whole thing done in an hour and a half. No new skill sets, no hiring anyone, just plastering 1/2 the mold with targets and taking pictures.

Having a new NA learn about picking up lines on site, just doesn't teach him much, except he'll never want to do it again. Now if he's actually interested in the more mundane tasks the yard guys do, well he can hang out on a Saturday if he wants, but if he'd prefer to get in front of his monitor, which I suspect, well then . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.