3D Core PET Foam compared to Divinycell H80

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by eam, Aug 4, 2020.

1. eam

eam New Member

As I am looking into foams for my beach catamaran project I have a hard time deciding between 3D Core PET Foam and Divinycell H80.

Datasheets:
    3D Core PET 110kg/m3 https://www.hp-textiles.com/Flyer/Datasheet_3D-CORE.pdf
    Divinycell H80 (PVC) 80kg/m3 https://www.brenntag.com/media/docu...terial_science/diab/divinycell_h_brochure.pdf

I understand that the 3D Core PET has 30kg more per m3, which would come down to 3,5kg on the cat im building, that would not be ideal but not that bad either. But how is it with e.g. epoxy resin uptake? For the 3DCore it says 400g/m2 per side plus 90g/m2 for the structure (filling the honeycomb structure), I have a hard time finding any numbers for divinycell, does anyone know how much the uptake is there? Is it about the same or is 3D Core drinking way more epoxy? With 3d core the structure design is meant to be filled with epoxy creating a bond throughout the foam, similiar what is done with normal slabs of foam when making small holes into it or slicing it a bit with a razor blade for better saturation (not sure if this is standard practice, saw it in a diab brochure)

To be fair the main reason I am considering the 3D Core is that I can get it for 30% less the costs which is quite a bit, I am just worried it doesn't compare to the divinycell H80 strength wise, I dont have any experience comparing the numbers for sheer strength/modulus, compression etc. Any help that would make my decision easier on this topic would be great.

How do the two foams compare, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Attached Files:

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I briefly read the datasheets and it looks like the 3D core is an augmentation to foam; so I am mostly confused.

The way I read it you need to use PET foam and 3d core for improved values.

Then the slicing or perforation or none depend upon the build process you plan to use. Slicing is for infusion, perforations for wet bag, none for hand lam.

And the 3d core with pet foam option is 182 density vs 80 on the divinycell with much higher resin uptakes for the 3d core, so the 3d core option will be two-three times heavier it seems.

Are you sure this is apples to apples. It seems like you are comparing two things that are not comparable.

Just a builder; no experience with 3d core.

corcell m80 has uptake of 35

3. sailhand

sailhand Senior Member

Divynicell is the way to go imho. The extra expense is nothing compared to a substandard outcome. I have spent considerable time playing with both. PET has the recycled appeal and is easier on the budget however sheer properties are too low. Also on small cats weight is crucial to performance. Its an extra few hundred dollars and it could mean the difference between a fantastic outcome and dissapointment.

4. Chris Rogers

Chris Rogers Junior Member

I agree - you will probably have better results with the foam! It has less resin uptake and should be easier to deal with - and stronger.

Are you building in a mold? What layup process?