3D Boat Rendering

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Elina, May 20, 2019.

1. Elina

Elina New Member

Attached Files:

2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Could have fooled me. Looks like a real boat in a real place. The shadowing & angles are well done. If you showed the rendering in stages to demonstrate your ability that would be a plus.

e.g.

-Picture of shallow lagoon.
    -Picture of yacht.
    -Yacht overlay into lagoon.
    -Add shadows, lighting, blends, etc.

With the use of drones these days I'm seeing more great shots of boats on the water. While underway I've always imagined a drone that could get a great shot by doing this:

-As the yacht is under way (about 5-8 knots) the drone takes off with a push of the button.
    -Records a 360 degree view of the boat looking down from about 100-200ft.
    -Perhaps makes some sweeping passes at a safe distance (clear of the sails, above the waves).
    -Lands on its base by itself without falling in the sea!

I believe there would be a great market for a drone that could pull that off. Some photographers are starting to experiment in this area. Helicopter filming is just too expensive.

Fair winds!

bateaudemoi likes this.
  3. H2O Wrapz

H2O Wrapz New Member

Great job @Elina! What software did you use to build and render with?

4. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Wow! Looks like the CG in Hollywood movies.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Sorry guys.

The first thing I see when shown a picture, plan or rendering of a boat is whether it makes good sense as a boat. Regardless of the quality of the picture, this is a terrible boat design. Too many flaws to mention. It looks like a good example of why home interior designers should not be allowed in a boat design studio. If this offends anyone, just ignore it.

6. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Well, for those of us (like me) without much in the way of boat-designing skills, could you give us your top five for starters?

I see a lack of any safety rails on the lower and middle decks; that's pretty bad. That drop-down platform on the port side seems kind of iffy to me. Space-wasting stairs (but what's that if you have the money?)--also with no handrails. The floor lamps look weird. And I can't figure out how they got a motor launch and four jetskis up on the rear deck, or what's keeping them there. The tiny swimming pool is going to empty itself at the first little swell, and that cantilevered canopy over it is bound to go flying sooner or later--taking critical nav and comm equipment along for the ride. All of the many beds are gonna get soaked. And I don't see any stairway between the middle and upper decks, nor can I guess where the bridge is. I'm sure there's more.

Nicely rendered, though.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

@clmanges, you may be right in everything you say, but the ones you mention are aspects related to the ship as a hotel, which an interior designer can do. The aspects referred to by @tom28571, I assumed that those related to naval architecture and naval engineering, are very different. It is difficult to comment on them because we do not have any data and it is those aspects, there I agree, those who cannot take care of an interior designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.