Purchase of plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stix, Jan 6, 2011.

1. stix

stix New Member

I have a requirement for a custom built mobile pontoon that is 17m in lenght and 5m in width. Because it is a one off, the regulatory authorities will no doubt have a lot to say about it. However, I do know of one other vessel that is similar being built before, but it's not quite as large.

Do you think it is worthwild for me to get one designed from scratch, or given that most of the work has already been done and i don't want to reinvent the wheel, would it be cheaper and easier to attempt to purchase the plans off the builder of the above mentioned vessel and make some modifications to them?

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which path I should take?

Cheers

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I went that route and unfortunately the additional work on re-calculating every bit of the boat is astronomical. You cannot just take the same thickness of the material, but need to either re-work some raw material or add some more layers in case of GRP. Also the authorities does not take your word for granted and like to see some proof from the builder or an independent NA/surveyor. It all boils down to cost. Time is expensive and the error rate is high. If you have lots of time, go for it. Otherwise my recommendation is to make a deal with the builder and get the right size.
    Bert

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If your vessel will be used "for hire" then you absolutely need to have the plans drawn up professionally. It's also likely your "regulatory authorities" will ask who made the "upgrades" to a set of existing plans. Without a reasonable and respected answer, you may have some registration issues.

In short, contact the designer of the other vessel and see if they can make the changes you desire.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is this something like a floating dock? Those can be bought in sections, already approved. What is it for?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.