1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Looking for Oldtown Wigeon Mold owner

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by ejlydic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ejlydic

ejlydic Junior Member

I understand the Oldtown Wigeon molds were sold to a buyer in Illinois. I would like to make contact. If anyone has any information I would appreciate a contact.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Ed

2. David Clark

David Clark Junior Member

Ed, This is David Clark www.decoybags.biz 401-871-4739.
    I had the molds about 15 years ago. I tryed to get a letter from Old Town releasing them from liabilty so I could build them. They yes'ed me but would not sign off on it. I built one boat and made it at only 80lbs and it was not a good boat to get in and out of when it was in the water. There is space for a motor on the transom but the cockpit size makes it almost impossible to get it USCG approved. When talking to Old Town the boats were not made after the level flottation laws came into efect in 1972. Just to much risk. If you want to call feel free.
    David

www.canvasbacks.biz

3. ejlydic

ejlydic Junior Member

Hi David,

I haven't seen you post on DHBP in awhile. Hope things are well with you. Thanks for the reply. Based on the style I've had an interest in this boat for some time. As of late I've been hunting some small marshes around my area from a kayak. My wife presented me with a black lab pup for Christmas so I'm on the hunt for a small marsh boat stable enough that I can hunt a dog from. I figured the Widgeon was more of a sawed off canoe and wondered about the stability issue. Since I saw the mold was sold on ebay some time ago by a guy named TonyH I put 2 and 2 together and found out it was Tony Homer who makes UFO layout boats and now TDB. He told me the buyer was from Illinois which is where I live. Getting a title and registration on a homemade boat in Illinois is almost impossible with the current regulations so I was hoping maybe the new owner of the molds is producing a boat one can buy. Every state around me has a marsh/sneak boat manufacturer but shipping almost doubles the cost of any purchase.

I apprieciate the information on the boat. I think I should probably keep searching for something a bit wider and maybe a little longer.

Take care,

Ed

4. David Clark

David Clark Junior Member

Widgen

Ed, Ya I thought it would be a good boat as well but there is no why you are going to hunt a dog out of it and there is no why that I could figure out to make it USCG approved unless they decked over half the cockpit in order to get some foam at the aft end of the boat. It would be better to build or get a small devlin I think a braodbill would work
    David

5. duckboat

duckboat New Member

I have the molds to the old town widgen.

I have the molds to the old town widgeon.
    I'm saint Louis .Bought them on Craig's list tree-four years ago and did four pulls of them .Email me apoklis@apoklis.org .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.