37' Deltaga gillnet to prawn converstion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Deanpopil, Nov 9, 2019.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Best of luck. Keep the project smaller and finishable. It is much easier that way.

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Agreed!

One hour of tear-down equals 10-20 hours of reconstruction, research and anguish.

3. Deanpopil

Deanpopil Junior Member

Good thing I'm fast tearing things apart! The boat has always been a gillnetter, I fish ground fish, prawns and tuna. Plan is to remove the decks from the back 13ft. Of the boat, remove the old fuel tanks underneath and extend the fish hold. Still deciding on the rear cockpit design, I will also be jigging live rock cod and gangtrolling lingcod so a rear cockpit is important. I will either put two cockpits, one on either side or one smaller one in the middle. Pretty much will just be raising the rear section of deck and putting a fish hold underneath. The front hold is divided into three smaller holds, I will be cutting out the bulkheads that divide these holds and the front hold will become one. The front hold will also become a live tank for lingcod and rockfish, but the three smaller holds are already slush tanks so not much work is needed in the front hold.

4. Deanpopil

Deanpopil Junior Member

The hatch coaming will fill fit a cheater box freezer for prawns.

5. Deanpopil

Deanpopil Junior Member

Decks and new hold framed in, some work to do in the cockpit, then foam and fiberglass.

IMG_20191124_150259.jpg

6. Deanpopil

Deanpopil Junior Member

I'm bad at taking pictures..... Almost done.
    IMG_20200122_165445.jpg

7. Deanpopil

Deanpopil Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.