36' Cat pipe dream...

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ProjectFiji.com, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ProjectFiji.com

ProjectFiji.com Junior Member

Alright, first post, so be gentle.

Here's what I have in mind:
    36' x 16' sailing catamaran, made out of a single chine white cedar planked hull. Max hull width at the sheer 4'8". Framing will be either 2x4's or 2x6's 36" on center (with an intermediate frame every 18"). I'm not sure about the beams connecting the two hulls together but am thinking double 2x6's or 2x8's.

Power will be twin 4 stroke outboards.

I have no clue about the sail plan yet.

Does anybody have any links to other similiar cats?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

take a look at ths small cat build. I'm building a 30' x 11' using double 1" x 8"
    on each side of the ply frame (3/4") and using epoxy adhesive. I'm filling in between the 1 x 8 with 3/4 ply and bolting all together. I cannot picture anything to break it--but I don't test high seas. You would need to use either 1" or 2 " x 10". I would also increase the ply to 1" thick. Just some thoughts for you. Stan

http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard16/pic808a.html

3. ProjectFiji.com

Why are most homebuilt Cat's done with Ply framing? I was thinking of Ply for the bulkheads, but all the other interior frames I'd like traditionally framed. Is it for ease of construction? I would think that it would be much cheaper to use 2x4, 2x6, or 3x6 construction in the interior framing, not to mention the strength gains.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

HI, if your commenting on the link I posted the ply frames have solid framing across the top snd down the exterior side, sometimes on both sides. It is a strength factor to have this ply backing rather than solid frames put together. It also makes forming quite easy and cross ties everything together.

5. ProjectFiji.com

Stan (or anybody else for that matter)
    Do you have a good picture of the exact beam work underneath where a mast is stepped? I'm trying to figure out my beam calculations right now and want to see what everyone else does here. I know the above link isn't a sail rig, but figured I'd ask anyhow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.