3500 migrants a year drowning in the Med is unacceptable. It's action time!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Stephen Ditmore, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It seems fruitless to try and regulate a shadowy industry that functions outside the law.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

Emigration boat people may be our very self's in the near future when a inevitable nuclear war that will happen any day, then their will be no nation boundaries with every one for them self's heading to the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
    The inevitable mass over population will also create world famine backed up by global warming to assist the starvation if by some luck a nuclear war has not happened by that time.
    Myark self trailer folding barges may be popular during theses times of when our self's become boat people fleeing for our lives to a another nation, especially from the USA when nuked.

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

oh boy

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Yeah, if people keep reelecting these Constresscritters there's little hope of roping in the federal government. :)

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Yes, it is like advocating for more firefighters when an arsonist is at large.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, I agree, the solution probably would avoid having arsonists who, incidentally, have been trained and provided with equipment by foreign personnel.
    When I say "avoid people having to flee their country" I mean to create the necessary conditions for these people do not need to flee their countries (or avoid the causes of this need) .
    But this is a too political issue, in my opinion, to be discussed in this forum.

7. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Reoccupy the place and bring back ruthless suppression of sectarian violence.

Oh wait, we tried that. We're not ruthless enough any more and even the French, who did some terrible things in Algeria, eventually gave up & left.

There is no answer that works. I've reluctantly gotten to the 'pox on the lot of them' mindset. The reported behaviour of so-caled refugees in Denmark, Sweden and recently Germany suggests that the *last* thing we should do is encourage more!

How about giving every refugee below the age of say 45, male & female, sans mothers with small children, 6 weeks basic training in firearms use, an AK47 with 200 rounds of ammo and an air drop back where they came from.... let them solve their own problems.

Like I said, I'm over it. Include me out.

PDW

8. vkstratis

vkstratis Naval Architect

You obviously dont understand the problem which has nothing to do with engineering standards to provide safer boats. The problem relies on politics and economics.

9. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Overloaded boats, does not matter if they are in great and well designed condition, are unsafe. Those criminal agents organizing this transport are grossly overloading the boats and they do that to make more money and no design changes can help abuse of the boat.

If you want to save lives, then you send over cruise ships organized by government officials with standards to pick people up and bring them into the EU, and that wont ever happen.

AND you change the conditions, if you unsweeten the pot, then less desire to go to the EU for the free and easy lifestyle they offer.
    AND, there is the religious element of talking over new territory for Allah that these migrants also use to justify the trip in their minds.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Where will they all go when there is no place left to run? Maybe make them stay home and fight for their beliefs on their own soil.

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Huh ? You sound as if you think all civilians should be made to go to war. Like all conflicts, its only people with money to buy weapons that cause the holocausts - there are a majority of peaceloving people and families in all war areas, though many get 'drafted' and forced to fight.

Its not just 'beliefs' that is the problem. If the US Government treated its citizens as badly as the Syrian one does, there would be much worse conflict in the US than in the middle east. eg.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/armed-militants-occupying-wildlife-refuge-shootout-fbi/story?id=36553186

12. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Yet if you read Patrick Kingsley's reports from Izmir, it seems they operate quite openly. The BBC has reported on a number of occasions about their online advertisements. And if they're importing a particular inflatable boat from China, doesn't that suggest there are ways to track and intercede if the government of Turkey were motivated to do so?

13. Stephen Ditmore

Yes, the problem relies on politics and economics that make it difficult for the Greek government and the Turkish government to get on the same page, and justify the rest of the world shrugging while huge numbers of people die - numbers that would never be tolerated were these not semi-stateless refugees - a September 11 every year.

14. Stephen Ditmore

Thanks other SD - I agree with you (except your last sentence only applies to a few; don't think it's accurate, or right, to paint the whole group that way).

Do you know anything about the deal the EU and Turkey have struck? What's Turkey supposed to do under this deal? What do you think of it?

The cruise ship thing - I know what you're saying, and I do get it, but we on this website surely don't believe that only a cruise ship is safe. Small boats CAN be used with a respect for both the sea and human life. When they're being used otherwise feel an obligation to say something, perhaps even do something, about it.

So if the Turkish government should round up and prosecute smugglers, which ones should they round up, and what should they prosecute them for? If they were to focus their most intensive efforts on the most egregious boat overloaders, that might help, yes?

15. RHP

RHP Senior Member

You mean in the Horn of Africa they only focused on big pirates and not small ones too? There's too much money in play, the only way to dissuade the smugglers is to take them out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.