Velvet BW72c 1018-009(257:1)-no fwd/rev

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by blueh2o, Apr 9, 2014.

1. blueh2o

blueh2o New Member

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and finally joined purely on quality of members here online. Think I have read every post that referenced "velvet".

I have a problem I need some direction on quickly... boating season is just around the corner and I need to resolve a few projects soon on the boat before Memorial Day.

I have BW velvet drive that won't go into gear fwd/rev coming into the slip last season. After inspection, it sounds like a ball bearing is flying around inside the tranny. I checked the obvious with/without linkage and fluid to engage gears to no success. I have had the boat for 3 seasons, previous 2 owners spared no expense in maintaining this water pusher. Don't have history on drive maintenance.

We had no problems with the drive until now and it made no noise at all previously. I do know the generator had problems and my pretty captain may have ran the engine at idle for several hours on a couple occasions to make sure her music playing addiction wouldn't strand her.

Tranny fluid looks and smells good. I have a manual that came with the boat... not sure it really helps much.

This is my 4th boat of all kinds/sizes... am fairly mechanical DIY busting alot of knuckles on rebuilding motors, jet skis, motorcycles, swapping auto transmissions on my hobbies.

I really need some good advice on this problem so that I start in the right direction quickly. Like everyone, I want to exhaust easiest options before pulling it and pursuing more lengthy efforts/costs.

Would someone be so kind to educate me quickly on my next steps?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Contact Marc at BAM in Pompano Beach, FL Phone:(954) 545-8681

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

With the noise you describe, it seems like mechanical damage. I have rebuilt dozens of them, and it is not excessively hard. A manual and rebuild kit will be about $200. It is easier if you have a press to take the clutch assembly off.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.