35 luhrs alura

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by fish1860, Mar 7, 2007.

1. fish1860

fish1860 New Member

I'm considering purchasing a 1988 Alura 35 by Luhrs. I was wondering if anyone here has one who can advise of any problems to look for at survey?
    Any idea of fuel economy with 454 BB when running slow, say 10kts. or so?
    Any help with this boat would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Ray

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

what is a 1988 Alura 35 by Luhrs then? some kind of insect? or a purfume?

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Here's one thing to be sure to have checked:

http://my.boatus.com/consumer/LuhrsFuel.asp

Other than that, try a search for reviews and other forums mentioning the Luhr's Alura.

As for fuel consumption info, try contacting the factory. They are in St Augustine, FL, and might have copies of the original test data; sometimes those are archived.

You might give some thought to a survey, though. 20 year old boat, gasoline engines, hull is big enough to have multiple subsystems on board, e.g. electronics, steering, bilge pumps, head, stove, frig, etc., etc. Problems can be hidden. Luhr's makes a great hull, but having all systems checked by someone knowledgeable and licensed could save you a lot of cost and aggravation.

Cheers,

Charlie

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Avast, there, Walrus, buddy!!

Don't be making fun of the the Alura 35. It's a powerboat that actually looks like a powerboat, something you'd be glad to take out beyond the breakwater, unlike some of the goofy looking things that pass for boats these days. Some look more like pregnant whales than boats. I've seen sales brochures that read like, "27' double cabin, sleeps 14, 10' freeboard". Fish1860 has good taste. Just in case your glasses are fogged up, the Alura is the good looking vessel on the left.

Cheers,

Charlie

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.