35' cat concept for the inside passage.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

I think Boston has an old apple - Possibly one of the last not made in China, but still likely made in Asia somewhere... Stuff from China is slowly improving in quality/reliability... Following a similar trend to industrialisation in Japan thence Korea (south that is)...

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

components on my computer were made in USA and assembled in Taiwan. Or at least thats what the site says. My keyboard and mouse say made is USA, the screen is an acer and I've no clue where its made.

Awesome computer by the way, its only problem is its to old to run some of the modern software but it runs like a top. Shame to have to pay money on an upgrade when this one still works flawlessly

3. masalai

masalai masalai

My computers are all assembled by me and in the course of sourcing the components, discovered that all computer motherboards come from one of 4 Asian countries (India generally supplies its own needs and does not export much. - make it 5 countries if you feel it should be included.) - - - I use AMD cpu's because I 'like the contrariness' of the 'owner'... - one Clevo 17" notebook, 2 using AMD phenom cpu's fit in a space less than 1000 sheets of paper, and one uses an old "shuttle" box and Taiwanese mini ITX form-factor mother board all use 4GB ram & separate Nvidia graphics cards driving up to 2 screens...

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Including MAC ?

MAC kinda got famous for its being produced mostly in the USA. I'm sure they outsource some stuff but I wasn't aware that they bought boards from other manufacturers. I think they still produce there own stuff. Maybe,.

5. Dryfeet

Dryfeet Junior Member

I can confirm that while they 'produce their own stuff' perhaps, it's still produced in China. That's where the tracking for my MacBook Pro originated when it was shipped to me after purchasing online.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Since Mac went "Intel" instead of its own cpu/standard yes... Almost identical to all other PC,s Notebooks and tablets as far as I can tell, (not certain on the tablets)... I do not like the current crop of portable devices, as I do not like screens that are HIGHLY reflective and only eminently suitable for gamers and other troglodytes... Outside in daylight these devices are useless except for being used as a ladies device for assisting in doing their lipstick/makup/hair...

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

The first gen ( coloured ones) iMac G3 was made in the US but in a short time they were made in Taiwan and then China,and that's like 13 years ago.

I'm sure every small engine-gas or diesel-and genset is made there,some under OEM supervision-some not.
    Lombardini may be the only exception and I'm not sure if Farymann is still made in Germany.

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

That's where I got to when I went through the 'assemble your own tranny' phase. Yes, I could, but....

I recently went through the same phase with rebuilding an old marine Yanmar. Decided I'd rather spend money & cut a couple weeks at least off of my timeline and improve my chances of having a long, trouble-free sailing period. I like building things but there are limits, I also like using things I've built. So far I built the house so I could build the shed so I could build the boat. I'd like to get the boat in the water before I die....

WRT Chinese stuff, this keeps coming up on another forum I hang out on. Short form, seems that USA importers want to pay the Chinese $2 per item then retail it at $50 for a modest profit and disclaim any warranty issues. Naturally you get crap.

In Australia they can't disclaim warranty returns by law, so I suspect they import better stuff in the first place. Hence our generally better experience with stuff made in China. Certainly I've no complaints about my plasma cutter or MIG welder.

PDW

9. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

Your right sabahcat, just about everything come from china/japan, they just don't stop for tea :)

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

It takes a little bit of effort but you can still buy locally if you try. Maybe not everything but as much as possible

11. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

True Boston, but dam it's hard to compete with the prices of oversea's market..

12. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

I was looking at Lathes the other day and one was made in China and one made in Taiwan, The guy said the one in Thats made in Taiwan feels smoother, controls that is and the one thats made in china the controls were tighter, but when i said will the china one be ok and last the distance, he said, there fine there just cheaper.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I'm pretty determined not to plan on have anything made in china in any critical locations on this thing if at all possible.

I've just not had the best of luck with there stuff, so I tend to stay away from it if I can.

Anyway I think this boats pretty balanced, I went with square footage rather than trying to locate each panel, and its working out pretty darn close so far.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Gee that was some blow-off on "conspiracy" - phew....

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I just got sick of everyone so obviously avoiding a perfectly reasonable question. Didn't mean to leave you high and dry but I was done trying to deal with it. Hope all is well.

cheers
    and always good to hear from you
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.