34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

A new match racing tactic could very well be getting in front of your opponent and slowing him down/knocking him off his foils for the turndown etc...Match racing is like a airplane dogfight so hopefully the teams are preparing for everything........

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

Luna Rosa on foils( UPDATE: actually foiled on their first day of sailing! Other teams foiled on their fourth day of sailing) . She's sailing on one "L" foil and on two rudder "t" foils. No foil in windward daggerboard trunk.
    Great article (foreward) by Sir Peter Blake about Luna Rosa 2000: http://www.lunarossachallenge.com/public/blake.en.html
    from SA-no credit-larger picture
    click-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

Doug it,s been suggested in NZ. this is a photo shop pic and they did not foil on their first day.

Would you like to Comment.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

-----
    Same kind of thing happened when TNZ first foiled. LR did foil......

6. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I have another name to add to my Australian dream team: Dr. Martin Fischer.
    He's Australian by proximity; unless my information is out of date he lives in New Caledonia.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

====================
    Martin Fisher is one of the most brilliant foil/multihull designers around. Excellent choice except I have him on retainer for Team Florida.
    He has developed a relatively low area foil system for cats that allows full foiling without an altitude control system. Its being used on the Phantom F 18 and on the new GC32(see threads in this forum).Also see the Mayfly thread in this forum that contains his detailed report on the new foiling system.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/mayfly-class-catamaran-fischer-39616.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/flying-phantom-f-18-catamaran-43898.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/gc-32-super-cat-45062.html

8. Stephen Ditmore

I don't know what Florida's claim would be to him would be.
    What I'm getting at is that there's a great deal of talent, much of it specific to catamarans or foilers, much of it sitting out the current America's Cup, in, near, or from Australia.
    He's an interesting dude, so perhaps your claim is that you were aware of him first! Thanks for calling him and his work to my attention. His analysis is helping me understand why catamaran hull shapes are evolving in the directions they are.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

Just kidding about my dream Team Florida.

10. nzclipper

nzclipper Junior Member

If you are referring to the comment on crew.org, that was most definately taking the p*ss, not a serious suggestion at all.

I think the concept is called humour, perhaps you have heard of it?

I note you have copied dougs comments above and pasted into another forum as your own. Interesting.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    Most interesting.

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

nzclipper. The word is "definitely", a derivative of the word "definite".
    There is no "a" in it.
    Sorry for the OT, but that mistake comes up all the time in these threads and just gets my goat. :rolleyes:

13. Stephen Ditmore

Unless it's a blend of definite and defecate (adverb form).

14. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Plenty of that in the cup......

15. Stephen Ditmore

Getting back to the America's Cup, and how TNZ can be foiling competently with the main foils so far aft, is it possible the horizontal foils at the rudder tips are (at times) holding the stern down? And is it possible this is actually the better, more dynamically stable way to foil?

Before you laugh, note: on most conventionally configured aircraft the horizontal stabilizer (tailplane+elevators) have negative lift in steady flight. I can't tell you why, exactly, but for some reason aircraft designers have found this to be the more dynamically stable way to distribute lift. Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_(aircraft):
    The rear wing to which elevators are attached have the opposite effect to a wing. They usually create a downward pressure which counters the unbalanced moment due to the airplane's center of gravity not being located exactly on the resulting center of pressure, which in addition to the lift generated by the main wing includes the effects of drag and engine thrust.​
    Now consider: could the same be true of a hydrofoiling sailboat?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.