34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Only now I have noticed this post and I find it fascinating beyond words.

Kind of butterfly effect at work - a small and apparently minor event which has lead, through a series of situational leverages (committee decisions and Oracle's giant leaps in boat enhancing), to a radical change of the final result.
    An example which should rightly enter into textbooks as an example of how at this level of competitive racing any single error can make a difference between a final victory or loss.

Thank you very much for this story, Mr. Speer. :)

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

First Foiling America's Cup

I just realized that it was Barker and Team New Zealand that hit the mark to start the whole sequence. Amazing....
    For some unknown reason I'd been laboring under the assumption it was Oracle that hit the mark. Just didn't look closely at the boat I guess.

3. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

So slow Doug.

If I had been in charge I would have tried to keep the mark boats with an electronically enforced exclusion zone (say 45' - one boat length).

Get too close and you have to do a circle around a mark exclusion zone.

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

In later discussions with some senior management, I found out that my speculation was not correct. ACRM weren't planning on varying the course during the AC regatta in the same way that they did for the ACWS.

5. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

In their first experiments with the ACWS, they had flags on poles extending horizontally from the mark boats. Their intent was to keep the boats away from the marks. Although they did treat the poles like a ski slalom - there was no penalty for touching a pole. The poles were quickly dropped, however.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Luna Rossa's AC72 has now been transported to and set up (platform only without wing mast) in a museum in Milan:

https://youtu.be/P85soUXLgac

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks, Corley-It's sure better than being chopped up but, to me, still a bit of a sad ending for such a great boat......
    From Scuttlebut Europe 3/23/15:

Luna Rossa Milan, Italy: "When I was child, I visited this Aero -Naval Pavillion and I remember how much I was impressed" said skipper Max Sirena to journalists literally under the huge plattform of the AC72 Luna Rossa. The unveiling of the exhibit was at the National Museum of Science and Technology of Milan, dedicated to the genius of Leonardo da Vinci who lived and worked for many years in Milan.

"I really hope that someone from the new generation could be inspired as I am looking at our flying cat now suspended on display, exactly in between the boats at the ground floor and the aircraft in the gallery. We don't believe that a piece of technology like Luna Rossa should be closed up in a shed, collecting dust. She is much more useful here at the Museum, whose prestige is renowned internationally, particularly for its Aero-Naval Pavilion."

Luna Rossa AC72, which raced in the final of the Challenger Selection Series in San Francisco, will be on display to the public until the next America's Cup in 2017

Milan is where Prada was founded in 1913 and where its headquarters is still located. In the coming months an additional exhibition will be set up that will feature, with interactive media, the design complexity of this unique boat; the show will display the details of all the components as well as the history of the America's Cup and the Luna Rossa team.

The catamaran was transported from its base in Cagliari, Sardinia, to Milan where she was once again reassembled. The boat was then lifted and suspended at a height of 5 meters to allow full observation and unobstructed view of all the boat's details, both from the ground and from the gallery of the Pavilion.

"I also like to congratulate and thank Engineer Bruno Finzi, Luigi Maffioli, who produced the cables on which the boat is suspended, and the Luna Rossa shore crew. Their contribution has been essential for the outcome of this project: the assembly and suspension of Luna Rossa inside the Pavilion has been, unto itself, quite an achievement!" skipper Max Sirena stated. --
    Giuliano Luzzatto, @gluzzatto

luna-rossa-challenge.americascup.com

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.