34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

If the next AC will use similar boats, or even other foiling craft, wouldn't it be
    unwise to release those details?
    Why give your potential competitors valuable information that you worked hard to acquire and at great expense?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I agree, so does Larry.

BUT, the one noticeable difference was how stable the Oracle boat was most of the time.

That took a huge stress off of the crew, most of the time. And that is a crew served race over a long time, so reducing stress and increasing a little speed makes a HUGE difference.

I would like to know what they did.

But, I wouldn't tell.

Not even on my blog.

wayne

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

But only when he has Russell Coutts working with him.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

First Foiling America's Cup: Property of the USA!

From Scuttlebutt tonight-For the record:
    -----
    ORACLE TEAM USA Crew List
    Skipper: Jimmy Spithill (9), Tactician: Ben Ainslie (12), Strategist: Tom Slingsby (10), Wing trimmer: Kyle Langford (8), Jib trimmer: Joe Newton (5), Off-side trimmer: Rome Kirby (4), Grinders: Shannon Falcone (1), Joe Spooner (2), Jono MacBeth (3), Gillo Nobili (6), Simeon Tienpont (7)

Emirates Team New Zealand Crew List
    Skipper/helmsman: Dean Barker (14), Tactician: Ray Davies (10), Wing Trimmer: Glenn Ashby (3), Trimmer: James Dagg (9), Bow: Adam Beashel (2), Pit: Jeremy Lomas (8), Pedestal 1: Chris Ward (7), Pedestal 2: Rob Waddell (11), Pedestal 3: Grant Dalton (6), Pedestal 4: Chris McAsey (5), Float/Grinder: Derek Saward (12)

5. petereng

petereng Senior Member

To All - Its finished, the event I've been involved in and following for over 3 years is ended. Its been a romp. Onward to AC35!! Peter S

6. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

Nobody is going to play with larry again...
    Poor boy...

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Hey Doug...maybe you could add the nationality of all those guys as well....30 years to the day after we 1st won AC, the Aussies just did it again! :p

8. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

That was very interesting the Oracle bury just before first mark, the boat stayed level and popped up immediately, level again and hardly slowed. Whereas previously both cats when tripping, always slowed and their noses dropped. So Oracle had a foil operating system that made the boat not only safer, but absolutely steady ... and bloody fast ... and maybe, perhaps, imo, a little illegal too.
    Anyway, next AC (if there are any competitors) will loosen up the operating foil and rudder systems.
    But the fun will go. Be like sitting in a jet passenger aircraft, crew along for the ride.
    The brilliance of the Kiwi pioneering design is that they made foiling work under the restrictive rules.

9. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

I don`t think you have any legitimate basis for that claim.
    Since when is it illegal to make your boat safer , steadier or " bloody fast " ?

It may not be much of a consolation , but IMHO , in some ways the team NZ boat sailed the better race , particularly the start. Oracle USA just had more speed upwind.

Dean Barker and his crew was fantastic.

10. rogerf

rogerf Junior Member

I can understand and fully sympathise with Kiwi angst, they developed the foils and made them doable and at the last moment their thunder was stolen. However, foils were not kiwi property (and you can argue about IP a long time) and as someone on teamUSA said, we broke the code.

11. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

i watched the interview now for over an hour... only to find out, that this particular question haven't been answered...
    "oh, yeah, well - the engineers did a great job, and there are a lot of systems on board which have been improved constantly... jadajadajada..."

and i guess i know where russel coutts was - dismanteling the boat? :p

12. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Even if that was the case, was the use of such mechanisms prohibited under the AC72 rule ?
    There is a great distance between a sailboat which uses such servo-devices and an "electronic Frankestein boat", IMHO.
    Any sailboat uses mechanisms, in the form of "simple" or more complex machines - where should we draw the line ?

13. petereng

petereng Senior Member

Hi - The daggerboard can use the imposed loads to to control itself. Once the load curves are known we can design a control system that mimics this. This can be automated using springs, levers or hydraulics. As long as it has no stored energy it would be legal. Cheers Peter s

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

15. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Stored energy is not needed, as long as the grinders are grinding...:)
    However, I believe that any automatic transformation of electronically collected, stored and processed input data into some form of mechanical output used by servo-mechanisms should be prohibited, too. We do not wish a robo-sailboat, where sailors would be just passengers, do we ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.