34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Then you probably meant to say - Emirates Team against Kiwi/Ausie/Dutch Team, plus few others (including one American - Kostecki - soon substituted by a Brit)?

Welcome to the world beyond states: http://www.oracleracing.com/web/team

A glimpse at the nationalities of the people who have worked for this feat of the Oracle is the best part of this edition of the America's Cup. To me, it is a far better heritage for the future than foiling sailboats (pardon me for this, Doug ;) ).

2. michaeljc

michaeljc Senior Member

Make it even simpler: Race the boats with no crew remote form the foreshore - or helicopter. That would be fun. How the heck did this get past by the rules committee? Probably because there is no rule to say you can't maybe ?

3. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Until there is a concrete proof of some illegal action, their win will always have a ! in most peoples minds.
    I had not questioned the Kiwi s boat been faster during the first 11 races, so why do I have to question the US Oracle s boat becoming faster during the next 8 ?

4. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

It isn't worth picking at an open wound. Let it go and be sensitive to a forum member who has contributed a huge amount to all of us and a lot to me.

Gary is entitled to his view. In time the details will come out.

--
    CutOnce

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

The First Foiling America's Cup: Property of the USA!

===========
    That is the most unsportsmanlike pile of rubbish I have seen on any forum.

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Doug, you have a child-like attitude to this - with your red, large fonts cheering.
    I'm all for multihulls and foiling - but it is not my religion.
    The real question is that next generation AC72's will be a cross between a fly- by-wire aircraft. You really think this is a good direction? Crews being cheered and revered because of their performance in electronic Frankenstein boats?
    I love the AC72's - but only if they retain the human control element. And that didn't happen.

7. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Dean Barker :

"We left nothing on the table. We knew that we had a fight on our hands upwind; sailing a boat that fast is hard to swallow.

"It is very frustrating to think that two weeks ago, the opposite was true. The gains they made were just phenomenal. They did an amazing job to sort the boat out - it was probably a good thing for us that they didn't do so earlier.

I do not read Dean Barker speaking of any "electronic Frankestein boat" - he speaks of a boat that was sorted out amazingly.

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

What a fantastic Americas cup this has been. The underdog comes up to win. The boat that cannot lose is pipped at the post.
    Stuff of legend.
    The Americas cup was the first item on the ABC TV news this morning.
    World coverage has been immense. So much for the Naysayers.:p
    It really has been a victory of technology over prejudice.
    I really feel sorry for the NZ team, but at least we know that the next Cup won't be raced by 12 Mtrs. :D

9. rogerf

rogerf Junior Member

Ditto

10. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Grand Dalton :

"They sailed really well. They have just got better and better. They got a minute and a half faster upwind than they were nine days ago. We were 50 seconds a beat quicker and now they are 50 seconds quicker. They have done a really amazing job to turn it around.''

I do not read anything about "electronic Frankestein boat" here, too...

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

First Foiling America's Cup: Property of the USA!

====================
    I suppose when Jimmy stuffed it today that was an electrical short?!! Absolute nonsense-both boats foils were controlled by a human hand -the foils are adjusted by Jimmy andor Dean .

12. xarax

xarax Previous Member

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11130376

Herald yachting writers Dana Johannsen and Paul Lewis answer the burning questions after Oracle successfully defended the America's Cup.

1) What now for Dean Barker and Emirates Team New Zealand?

Paul Lewis: Hard to know but it's difficult, at this early stage, to see the team surviving; Barker is hugely talented and will likely get a gig elsewhere, if he wants it.

Dana Johannsen: After three straight failed campaigns, it is difficult to see Team NZ being able to get the funding together for another campaign. Dean Barker is hugely talented helmsman and will be in demand elsewhere - it's a question of whether he wants to carry on in this heartbreaking game or not.

2) Is there anything more that ETNZ could have done in the last week?

PL: Nope - they'd run out of money and they simply couldn't do whatever it was that OTUSA did to make their boat faster.

DJ: Probably not. Team NZ led the development curve in the new AC72 class the entire way, but Oracle, with their superior money and resources, caught up with them and overtook them in the nick of time.

3) Is it a choke or a brilliant comeback?

PL: There's no such thing as a choke in sailing - there are too many variables, boat speed being the main one, team errors the other. It wasn't errors that cost Team NZ the America's Cup, it was boat speed. The big question is: what did they do to make it so fast after being so far behind?

DJ: You have to say it was an unbelievable comeback from Oracle. At 1-8 down lesser teams would have surrendered right there, but as Jimmy Spithill says "we looked down the barrel and didn't flinch". It is just a shame for every great comeback there has to be a great collapse.

13. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Absolutely brilliant string of wins to the Orcs!
    (As a "race" it was a pretty dull affair though, except for the start and the bow stuff near Mark 1 which added some tension).
    I haven't seen a comeback like that to win since Steven Bradbury.

14. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

You mean to tell me that the America's Cup is still going on?

Has no-one managed to win it, yet?

Is this never going to end?

LOL

Flew in to Heathrow this afternoon, drove to Falmouth in the regulation 4 1/2 hours, and located the fleabag hotel just in time to sort out the computer, cable and TV! With just 4 1/2 minutes until the start.

It was my own small feeling of accomplishment today (a couple of hours driving in fog, a little pressed for time, left-hand driving again which I always like), that we managed to watch this fantastic race as it happened.

I feel a great deal of sympathy and respect for Barker and his team, for Dalton and the rest of their organization.

But of course I really like Team Oracle's having managed to come from behind and confound everyone's expectations from when it was 8 to 1. Most of all because we then got to see these boats racing as long as possible. That was the main thing,

Leo can gripe all he wants, lol, but the races have been tense until some ways into the upwind leg and you couldn't expect more than that in anything other than familiar old one designs.

It's intriguing to read Gary's allegations of 'Frankenstein' hydraulics, at least I suppose is has to do with the hydraulics. Oracle had their backs entirely to the wall and were looking to saved by any conceivable improvement; Did they go too far in modding the boat?

Not the day to ask that question, or get any answers.

Of those who spoke during the prizegiving (and Larry said nothing, while Spithill had little to offer), it was Dean Barker who performed best by a long shot.

; )

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Oracle winn the America's Cup. So the next one will be in San Fransisco. I like this city, I am glad for them to keep the cup

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.