34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

So you don't think that the AC is (or should be) the pinnacle of sailing?

2. Leo Lazauskas

They are still a bit angry about that underarm thing.

3. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

You could say it was the low point

4. Leo Lazauskas

A very easy >30 sec win by the Orcs.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

----------------
    This is the America's Cup Wayne, not your 20 cats! No need for imagination here, Wayne, the most extraordinary sailboats in the history of the Americas Cup are racing on hydrofoils on tv and providing the most exciting Cup racing in history-fantastic-just try watching it.

Go 17ers!

6. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

We want to watch it, but it is impossible because of the exciting and extraordinary rules... .

7. SteveMellet

SteveMellet Senior Member

Ok, I believed for a while that SF was a really good venue and was torn between wanting NZ to win, and wanting to keep the Cup in SF for the sake of the great venue.
    But if they can't move the marks to suit the wind direction, and hold a race in good breeze, then the venue is not suitable for sailboat racing.
    So now I'm just hoping I only have see one more race..

8. Leo Lazauskas

Oh come on, the Facebook generation love this stuff!
    They won't click away to some other sport or TV show just because the wind is
    too strong or too light, or if the waves are too high, or if a race is abandoned
    because it took longer than 40 minutes. ;)

9. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Actually I think the rules are doing just what the tv audiences want, and they probably are the ones to pander to, and not just the sailing nuts. Its exciting and intriguing, will they race, wont they race, will the wind get too strong, will one of the boats break, will the boats collide and will somebody get splatted ( after all that's the only reason i watch NASCAR.

Along the way there is a real education on Mother Nature, wind, tides, boats, foils, vulnerabilities , logistics, it's all in there. Nah I applaud this series and I really must applaud the tv producers who seem to be able to pan in and out of just the right camera at the right moment.

10. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

It comes even better...
    If the direction of the true wind is not "favourable" or out of the limit, they would not start...

If i want to see some fast raceboats going round the boeys within a very limited condition window, i'll watch motorboatraces...

And they didn't start because the wind was "not fair" (according to our local commentator) coming from the "wrong" direction...
    Are those guys really seriuos?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

For you poor,unfortunate, guys from Wikipedia:

Patience (or forbearing) is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on annoyance/anger in a negative way; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties. Patience is the level of endurance one can take before negativity. It is also used to refer to the character trait of being steadfast. Antonyms include hastiness and impetuousness.

Go 17ers!

12. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Pulled the pin again. No racing today. Even the TV announcers are pissed.

--
    CutOnce

1 person likes this.
  13. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

4.5 Million Kiwis are knocking on wood for a race tomorrow. With their heads.

--
    CutOnce

14. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Wow ... we now have an ignorant noise to signal ratio that rivals sailing anarchy. Well done.

For all of you that are spouting off about SF conditions and the AC34 courses beeing bad and losing races because of it. I invite you to look at AC matches starting in 1925 and see how many races have been abandon for time limits or postponed due to unsuitable conditions.

You have been spoiled by how reliable the venue and course has been all through the LVC an the AC match. As soon as SF has any of the problems that have plagued other venues in the past you cry and whinge like little girls. It is sort of funny to watch.

HTFU

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Postponed or cancelled before or during the race because it blew a miniscule amount over over a moderate breeze ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.