34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

We are not that stupid.

BS What are you talking about and who is Stupid. Keep asking yourself.

Read Now.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11123001

OC

2. oceancruiser

The problem with Auckland

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11123001

3. petereng

petereng Senior Member

NZ has always thought forward really well. I've seen the waterfront develop over the last 20 years while I've been there doing various jobs & looking for that illusive AC job! . I'm sure they will figure out whats needed!! Peter

4. petereng

petereng Senior Member

stability

The problem with 60ft is pitching stability. This was apparent with the ORMAs and they now have settled on 70ft as a good size. The platform AC72 is fine they need to fine tune the rig so it reduces cost (remove cranes, wing staff and hangers) and it would be a great class. But as usual the new holder of the Cup has the perogative to select any boat they want so we will only know when this is announced in about a years time. Or earlier if we are lucky. Cheers Peter S

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

===============
    Yeah, we could know in a few days if "we" are really lucky!!

6. xarax

xarax Previous Member

I think that, regarding pitching, a proper size always depends upon / is correlated to the characteristics of the prevailing wave patterns, which might be quite different at different places. Is 70 ft the optimum size for Auckland ? We are talking about foiling crafts here - all those extended horizontal surfaces fore and aft alter the pitching characteristics of the boats. Also, I will not be surprized if the boats of the next generation will foil upwind, too - so the length of the hulls will be of minor importance during most of the course. What would matter most would be the distance between the foils. In any case, I do not see how the cost of the boats can be reduced significantly without some reduction of their size...

7. petereng

petereng Senior Member

Hi Xarax - The AC is rarely about money. Its about spending the most money "possible" to defend or challenge for the Cup. The design/build/crew/support costs of a proposed AC60 vs an AC72 will be the same. Ask Mr Lipton or Bondy (or soon Larry) if they were really worried about the money they spent, its about the glory and the Money they could make by winning or keeping the Cup. We can easily design and build a $100M USD AC Opti, wouldn't that be fun!! Peter

1 person likes this.
  8. michaeljc

michaeljc Senior Member

An AB team never goes into any match expecting or bragging up a win. Neither will the AC team. It is the nature of business investment to punt on odds. The odds are now good, but not assured by a long shot. given maximum wind there is still the risk of a major damage incident for either boat.

I have already said a week ago that waterfront property asking prices in Auckland will have been inching up. The herald article is about what is already in place and what is possible - not about definite further development as a result of an expected win.

I think we always need to keep out feet on the ground and publically understate our odds. ie talk up the quality of the opposition. That has always been the NZ way and I hope we never change : Learn from the Aussies and Americans that the wider you open your mouth the more embarrassing it is when things don't come off. I also believe that is important to win (should this happen) in a dignified manner. Without Oracle there would be no boat race.

Cheers

M

9. xarax

xarax Previous Member

True - it is about the "glory" - but the "glory" needs the audience, as much as the audience is seduced by the glory - and without a certain minimum amount of participation ( 3 1/2 teams was evidently not enough...), they will built it, but the audience will not come !

1 person likes this.
  10. oceancruiser

What BS. ETNZ already has

Dalton is on record as saying he expected to win the cup and lossing was not an option.

Without ETNZ there would still be a boat race always.

"That has always been the NZ way "

What ********. Don't you read the news papers.

"publically understate our odds. ie talk up the quality of the opposition. That has always been the NZ way"

What BS have you ever heard a national party leader or JOHN KEY TALK UP THE LABOUR PARTY or any oposition member or vise versa.

My understanding has always been " Be Honest" and most Child School motos or themes has been that way since time began not the American way and misstate the truth.

Are you saying that all our politicians and public figures, Corporate leaders are dishonest?

11. petereng

petereng Senior Member

Hey Guys - Keep to the topic. You two NZ's should be happy!! Peter S

12. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

2013....the year the America's Cup got conspiracy theories, counter conspiracy theories, counter counter conspiracy theories and oh yeah, some racing that is more interesting than usual.

13. michaeljc

michaeljc Senior Member

Just observe the demeanour and comments from the crew. Dalton is a tough professional. Do you really think that he will be portraying a win expectation to this crew? Determination is a different thing. It is about each member doing his job, exactly as is the case in any sporting team. It is far too early to gloat or brag.

I remember 2003. Kiwis just assumed we would win that too. We got done 5 – 0. Managers and designers were so confident that they didn’t even test the craft thoroughly. First a mast failure then the site of crew bailing out with buckets. The result was such a shock a public enquiry took place and weaknesses identified. Never again. While the current performance has to be due to a whole raft of factors the management package is what counts. Within that package. whatever the result, the main credit must go to the designers and builders. If I am to be proud about anything this is it. A tiny country up against a technological goliath, with unlimited funds.

14. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I liked Spithills Aussie vernacular being pushed by the journos after losing race 5. Asked how he felt about being the underdog?" his reply :
    "You can be a rooster one day and a feather duster the next, mate"

15. michaeljc

michaeljc Senior Member

I really think it all started with Oracle getting wrong footed over foiling. Their hulls look more suited to displacement. How far through the NZ and Oracle design development did they realise that foiling would be a such major component? I doubt that there can ever be another AC where there will be such a leap in technology so close up the butt of the racing. It’s astonishing. Hell, aircraft designers take years to develop a new design. Car designers too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.