34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Very impressive wins by LR against Artemis.
    So, Doug, have they improved enough to give NZ a run for their money?
    Or will we see similar boring blow-outs with LR trailing far behind?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

===============
    I don't get the "boring" bit. To me these thngs are incredible-so much to learn ,so much to be inspired by.
    LR doesn't stand a chance against TNZ......

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

yes but
    if they sail at different speeds its boring

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

You bored blokes will never be happy ...
    but cheer up, your children will have a more enlightened attitude ...
    while you will just fade disgruntedly away.
    Actually, it takes only fractional imagination (that is, if you've ever sailed on fast boats) to be really involved with the superb on board videoing coming off these AC72's.
    But no, let's just reveal our dogged bloody mindedness. Yawn. So boring. Ha.

6. Leo Lazauskas

The first minute is interesting then it is extremely dull to me because there is
    no tension in the event. Sure, the boats are interesting as they get up on the
    foils, but that becomes dull too because it's the same thing over and over after
    the first few times you see them do it.

I was hoping that LR had improved enough to give NZ a reasonable race, but
    you are suggesting it's not going to be much of a contest. Hopefully NZ will
    give Oracle a close race.

7. Leo Lazauskas

If they were faster during one leg, and slower than their opponent during
    another leg that might add some interest when they got within a few tens of
    metres. Instead they are hundreds of metres apart for most of the race.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Way before F1 gets as boring as yacht racing a billion people turn off and then they try to fix it
    If there's no action there's no spectators there's no money, that's not news..

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Americas Cup 34 AS IT IS!

Just a note by the Thread Starter -in-Chief: please lets not let this informative thread go the way of the "Americas Cup Declining" thread. If you don't like the America's Cup, please don't post, if you don't like the boats, please don't post, if you don't like the Teams please don't post. This is about the 34th America's Cup AS IT IS not as any of us want it to be. Start another thread if you want to, like: " Why I hate the Americas Cup and the Silly Boats that Sail in it", or "How can the America's Cup be Improved" but please don't restart the mono vs multi debate or the hydrofoil debate, or the seaworthiness debate, or the wind speed debate. Lets try to improve everyones technical knowledge about how these boats work, how the crews work, what the teams are doing and how the 34th Americas Cup will be won and why.
    Please return to your regularly scheduled evenings enjoyment....

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I'm just trying to understand if we are seeing a technology demonstration or a race so should it be a time trial or boat on boat?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

------------------
    Please give it a break......

12. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Thanks Doug for your last 2 posts, it is starting to get to repetitive.

How about just watching and learning, we all might be able to pick up on some thing new or different approach to things.

13. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

We've seen a lot of chopping and changing of the boat styles with the AC, i'd love to see them stick with this for a few rounds and develop the full potential of this platform for the benefit of everyone.
    I'd like to see foiling fully embraced to see how stable and reliable it could become, I do believe the knowledge and tech would spread beyond AC, not just for full foilers but in foil assist applications too.
    Perhaps the next AC being in NZ will have a sensible rig size and more open water will give us some leads on where to take the technology for a broader range of craft. ;)
    Seriously I do hope TNZ and Oracle provide some close racing, but I'm not optimistic at the this stage.
    Even so just watching the Kiwis sail that boat on their own is awe inspiring.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

=================
    Amazingly, I agree almost 100%-just not the red part above: I am optimistic and I know that I'll be in 7th heaven just watching the two greatest AC 72's so far.

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Copied from another thread, without comment. :cool:

I believe there are many sailors who choose monohulls for purely esthetic and historical reasons. They are traditional and pretty and healing is a part of the esthetic for them. I understand this. My first large yacht was a gracious old Pearson Alberg 35, with a cocktail glass stern and truly lovely lines. Many of today’s modern catamarans are just not that pretty – they lack a certain romance.

As for myself, I could never again go back to a monohull. I like sailing fast. I like sailing flat. I like a big cockpit. I do not like rocking at anchor. I still well remember sailing on the outskirts of a monohull race near Newport, Rhode Island, a few summers back. I was close reaching on my 41 foot cat at 17 knots, passing monohulls as if they were standing still. Romantic? Perhaps not for everyone. But sure a lot of fun. As the Dalai Lama once said: “You cannot buy happiness. But you can buy exhilaration.”

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.