34th America's Cup: multihulls!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Sep 13, 2010.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

how do the AC' 72's look in 10kts

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

HighonCarbon

I assume from your reply, you are connected to the paper/project then?

Indeed, as if that is your raison d’être. I’m simply pointing out to Doug that there are no hows’ why’s explored to ascertain the reason for XX or YY or any sensitivity analysis to establish the answers or at least a trend.

It is a good paper, but it an empirical approach looking at a binary situation. It leaves so many more questions unanswered and provides little in way of verification other than the sea trials; but what is being validated other than the one boat with and one boat without foils here is what “we” found? This is over looked by Doug in his zeal to proclaim the new messiah has arrived, on foils!

Why is that?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. high on carbon

high on carbon Wing Nut

Well as an ongoing competitive team we are not in a rush to dump all of our data out there for all of our competitors or would be competitors to use to their own ends. We have done the hard work and are happy to share some things, but other teams also have to do their own homework the old fashioned way, by rolling up their sleeves. In the past we have been approached by teams who wanted all of our design and performance data and were very upset to learn that we would not simply hand all of it over gratis, out of the goodness of our hearts.

If you have questions about XX YY etc, or any of the boats we build, sail, race or destroy, I'd be happy to answer them, as long as it doesn't compromise anything we are developing for this year's event in the UK.

5. high on carbon

high on carbon Wing Nut

Ad Hoc, if we are however to have that conversation might I suggest we keep it over at the LAC thread, so that this thread may stay on topic with the current AC cycle.

Powerabout: how do the AC' 72's look in 10kts,

I imagine they look about 72 feet long.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Excellent stuff, High on carbon, real world observations, practical knowledge from hard won results, experience combined with creative and technically astute minds
    ... in contrast to embittered, sedentary, dull, negativism.

8. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

Unless you have a view point like the guy in the row boat from the OR video a while back.

That had to be impressive even if it was staged. Should have been followed by the go pro video titled "I was run over by a 72' AC".

9. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

Dud start angers Cup sponsors:::

Not according to the Sponsors.

Read this.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/yachting/news/article.cfm?c_id=106&objectid=10895625

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. tomas

tomas Senior Member

[​IMG]

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

Americas Cup youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

==========
    Editorial from Craig Leweck of Scuttlebutt:

America’s Cup: Who Is To Blame For This Mess? ( http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...rm=Americas Cup Who Is To Blame For This Mess )
    Published on July 8th, 2013 | by Editor

inShare.12 EmailShareBy Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt
    Back when New York Yacht Club was the keeper of the America’s Cup, they chose their defender by committee. One by one, the straw hats (NYYC committee members) would excuse the lesser teams. No need to waste time on teams unable to compete.

Fast forward to now. If the Louis Vuitton Cup challenger series was run this way, the Artemis Racing team would have been excused last month. They’ve been riding an impossible timeline since last year, and their May 9 training accident would have been the final straw (so to speak).

But not only is the challenger series not run this way, the Swedish team has derailed what momentum the 34th America’s Cup had. “The mess this regatta finds itself in is due in large part to Artemis’ institutional incompetence…,” notes Dana Johannsen of the New Zealand Herald.

The horrific accident last month has not only disrupted the sailing schedule, but has led to an overhaul of the event safety standards, some of which are being argued as unnecessary by Emirates Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa Challenge.

The International Jury for the America’s Cup began hearing these protests on Monday, which have been consolidated together with the Kiwis and Italians given the opportunity to speak to their submissions. “We’d like to have a decision on Wednesday,” said International Jury chairman David Tillett.

Both Emirates Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa are arguing Regatta Director Iain Murray exceeded his authority when some of his 37 Safety Rules effectively changed the AC72 Class Rule. The Regatta Director argues the changes are necessary to run a safe regatta and are in line with the Rules of the event.

Given the troubles that Artemis Racing had already demonstrated – broken wing, structural issues, and slow design – why has their accident provoked such a strong reaction by the event organizers?

“I don’t think anything we have done is an overreaction at all,” asserted Murray. “What may have been an under reaction is what happened after the Oracle capsize (on October 16, 2012). I think we are now doing a whole lot of things that should have been done earlier. For the changes that we have now done, maybe we could have prevented the Artemis accident. I don’t know, but I certainly don’t believe our efforts now are an overreaction.”

The enormity of the Artemis Racing accident – destroyed boat and death of crewman Andrew Simpson – has been a significant wake-up call. “The accident has now motivated all parties to take ownership of safety and have treated it very seriously, which it needs to be,” said Murray.

But were some of the 37 Safety Rules already in the works? “I think it is fair to say that there was a continual work in progress with meetings among the teams,” explained Murray. “Areas of discussion involved the emergency support around the race course, plus concerns about guest racers and the mark boats. So yes, we were already concerned about accidents and what adjustments were needed in these areas.

“Since the accident we have obviously stepped it up, and have very much taken the attitude that these boats can capsize, that it can occur again, and that we need to introduce as best we can all systems to give the teams every bit of assistance to prevent a capsize, and if they do capsize, that the boats remain as long as possible in one piece to insure that the crew can safely return back to shore.”

Expect the next race to be a one-boat race for the Kiwis on July 9 (12:15 start) as Artemis Racing does not yet have their second boat ready to compete. All challenger round robin races will be broadcast on YouTube until further notice.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

34th AC

From JNavas about this video-see pictures with yellow arrows below: " At 14:44 one of the crew on the far side hull was rolling on his back with his feet in the air, and at 17:58 the crew going around the mast slipped down forward and just caught himself on the sprit. Somebody is probably going overboard in race conditions sooner or later, part of why rudder elevators protruding outside the hull are not good for safety! And if a crew falls off forward between the hulls at speed, there are 4 deadly blades in the water!"
    DL comment- the guy going forward of the wing slipped but, apparently there is a tramp up there and he appears to have hit it feet first.

=====================
    JNavas---Oracle and Luna Rosa practicing today-breathtaking foiling shots and numerous other boats including a tri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIMbnURh_QY At 14:20+ in clear shots of the inboard lee foil tip of Oracle.....

Click on these pictures for a better view:
    JNavas video stills--

Attached Files:

15. SteveMellet

SteveMellet Senior Member

Please help me out in understanding something about the Round Robin and Semi-finals in this event, I'm a little confused, as I imagine that most of the general viewing public are.
    I've read somewhere that Artemis are unlikely / have no intention to even attempt to make it to the start of any of the round robin races. How is it that they will then appear in the semi-finals ? And will not collecting any points affect their standing in the semi's at all ?
    We've seen a one-boat race, and while some folks watched it because it's the first chance at seeing one of these boats do a few laps of the track, folks are not likely to watch the next few one-boat races that are scheduled. Which I'm sure is not too good for the event - no viewers = unhappy sponsors.
    Is it because Artemis are the COR that they get an automatic pass into the semis ? Do LR and ETNZ have to duel it out and the winner faces Artemis ? I haven't paid much attention to how the racing would take place, I assumed it would run along the lines of a competitor not showing for the first half of the event, would automatically exclude them from even being listed as a competitor in the event.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.