smallest sailboat which has an inboard engine

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by urisvan, Dec 29, 2008.

1. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

hello,
    what should be the smallest size of a sailboat but still she will have an inboard engine.
    cheers

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I've seen a sailing kayak equipped with an electric trolling motor.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

I had a 20' motorsailer with a 15hp yanmar diesel....700 mile range under power.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

I can remember 14 to 16 ft double ender? lap-strake planked heavy rowing boats fitted with a little petrol one cylinder salt water cooled inboard operating in the "sheltered waters of what is now the Gold Coast around the 50's to haul nets out from the beach and everyone strolling along would help to haul the net in and get a fish or two as thanks for their help, also some were later available as hire boats for fishing/crabbing in the rivers....

5. timothy22

timothy22 Junior Member

In the '70s I had an 18' lateen rigged flat-bottomed, long keel, double ended, decked over weekender with a 5hp Kermath. It had a standing well aft, and I pitched a pup tent on deck. They loved it in Tarpon Springs!

6. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Code:
    I had a 20' motorsailer with a 15hp yanmar diesel....700 mile range under power.

thanks for different kind of examples. they are both nice.
    but i am espacially interested in coastal cruisers. please send more examples.
    doug lord, that sounds nice. what was the model of your boat?
    cheers

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

----------------------------
    Hi urisvan-thanks. See this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/motorsailers/20-motorsailer-25454.html#post246500
    I designed the little motorsailer based on an 18' daysailer/weekender that I had designed for T Craft boat company.

8. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

thanks,
    what i had in my mind is a sailboat, capable of going in heavy seas, maybe not in the ocean, but in agean sea, where there are high winds sometimes(not very big waves).

9. masalai

masalai masalai

look at something like the smaller Lombardini 2 cyl inboard marinised engines - fairly light and seem quite popular in Europe.... 500cc and 700cc diesels....

10. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

I've read that a few Cape Dory Typhoons came with inboards, but I've never seen one. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A Flica, would fit your request nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20' on deck, standing headroom (5' 11"), 8' beam, 3' 3" draft and displaces about 3 tons. A good little sea boat by Pacific Seacraft

She's rough water capable and would be fairly comfortable, considering how short she is.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Hey, that is quite cute....

13. peterBUILT

peterBUILT New Member

Look at: International Folk Boat, or Cheoy Lee Frisco flyier.

14. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Or there is the Anderson 22, Oliver Lee design, fast & seaworthy with lifting keel, mine has an RCA Dolphin 12 HP petrol inboard thats like having a smooth turbine under the deck. http://anderson22class.co.uk/

15. JotM

JotM Junior Member

In order to round up some more ideas to chew on:
    Both a bit longer, but able seaboats.

If I turn back to the original question, which I interpreted like "is there a minimum size for a boat to carry an inboard engine?", as a mechanical engineer I would say "No". One could probably use the smallest air cooled single cylinder diesel engines (like e.g. the Lombardini 15LD225, the Mitsubishi L2E or the Yanmar L48V) fitted out for a marine environment. At a weight of 25-35 kg you should even be able to mount that in a small beachboat. (with a max. power < 5 HP your boat shouldn't be a whole lot bigger ;) )

Cheers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.