33ft/10m LOA motorsailers. Why there are so few of them?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by xarax, Dec 10, 2006.

1. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think you forget to factor in that the middle class, at least here in the U.S., is shrinking in favor of a much poorer working class and a far more afluent upper class. The upper class are going to want all the comforts of home plus high performance and the new working class can't even afford to get near the water. I first noticed this change in the early nineties when the boats mentioned in the sailing magazines started getting bigger and bigger (40 and 50 somethings) and the smaller boats (20 to 30 somethings) started getting less and less press.

I guess boat builders, like everybody else, have to go where the money is.

I would hope, though, that if I were a part of the upper class I would see the advantages of a smaller boat. Greater handiness and, hopefully, less yard hassles. Being able to go out for a few days just on a whim on a boat I can easily handle has great appeal to me.

Bob

2. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

I agree with this in europe. The first beneteau sailboat was the "First 30", then the "First 22". Now the typical beneteau sailboat is a 40.

And back to motorsailers.

What do you think of : http://www.sirius-werft.de/EN/32DS_Daten.html
    http://www.sirius-werft.de/EN/sirius.html

Is it a motorsailer, or a decksaloon sailboat.

3. yipster

yipster designer

what to say... nice boat eighter way
    fisheye panorama pics show tasty details

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"I think you forget to factor in that the middle class, at least here in the U.S., is shrinking in favor of a much poorer working class and a far more afluent upper class.'

Fraid you have been sold a bunch of garbage,

loads of folks are no longer in the Middle class , because there now in the upper class.

I realize as a recovering New Yorker that only $100,000 a year in NYC (say a skool aid and a underground train driver $125,000combined income before tax extraction) have a heck of a time living in a good apartment and sending their kids to a good skool, but they indeed are no longer in the middle class , just look at the tax extortion forced on them.

The illegal migrants on most Long Island street corners , looking for work , do not accept less than $100 a day and lunch.

Where ARE these millions of "poor" ?

The only POOR I know of are children that have children at 15.

FF

5. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think it is really a sailboat. I can see no mention of fuel tankage which, in itself, would be a dead give away of designer intent. I can imagine there will be many pure sail boats that look like motor sailers and many motor sailors that look like pure sailboats. Take the 'Tahiti ketch' for example. it has the low, sturdy cabin of a pure sailboat and no pilot house, yet it had an engine and significant tankage making it, in my opinion, an early motor sailor. And, if I must say so myself, a damn good concept, even in this day and age. I would much rather take it poking around in odd corners of the Earth than more modern, 'efficient' so called 90/90 boats.

Bob

6. xarax

xarax Previous Member

"...loads of folks are no longer in the Middle class, because there now in the Upper class." That presumably explains the sparsity of newer small motorsailers, around 33ft/10M LOA.
    If Time is Money, and the Upper class is the Leisure class, "loads of folks" should have ample time to spend on blue water sailing. Is that what is really happening ? On the contrary, the terrifying nothingness of free time that characterizes modern life confines loads of folks in the dead calm realm of the Lower classes.

7. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Funny thing, Fred. I never mentioned where this vanishing middle class was going. I only pointed out that, from what I see, it is getting smaller. And, from what I have seen (and experienced, I might add), the working class is getting poorer. And that's it.

8. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I don't know any millionaires, but the afluent people I do know are very busy. Their free time seems to be measured in hours per month, not days.

The tradgedy is that the only people who can afford an ocean voyaging boat will never have time to use it. But I think that has almost always been the case. Most of the voyaging accounts I have read about happened in boats that were aquired by some discount method, be it owner constructed, or a serious fixer upper. I rarely hear of someone taking off in a brand new boat , purchased outright, unless they a sponsored racer.

That's why I'm interested in designing simple boats that may boarder on the crude, but are relatively simple to construct and, more importantly, easier to maintain. High performance designs almost never fit that criteria. It seems to me that all the fancy developments that have occured during the last quarter century just don't wear well. I have a feeling that long after they make their famous performance benchmarks, their designs will die. And some how someone will figure out how to make something even faster. Which will probably be even less practical.

Meanwhile, over the horizon, the full keel auxiliarys will still be plying the seas. Dozens, if not hundreds of years from now. It seems that the only two inovations, over the last one hundred years that have real 'legs', are external ballast and masthead rigs. Masthead rigs, because they can be made all but indestuctable. And external ballast, because it will pull your boat back upright. Both are realatively easy to execute and are extremely pratical. It seems that everything else just comes and goes as this or that year's fashion.

Bob

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

It is a question of opinion. A relatively slow sailboat or a faster motorsailor?:p

Either way it is a very good boat. I have been inside several boats of the range and they all have an immaculate finish with superb and practical interiors.

I have also discussed some technical points with the builders, regarding the construction of the superstructures (all in massif wood, no fiberglass there) and I was impressed. It's a small shipyard, run by a family (father and son) and they put a lot of pride in what they do. Expensive boats, that deserve the money you pay for them.

I don’t think so. There are in the market motorsailors around 30ft. There are no more because there is not a demand for them. The reason is money. Such a boat is an expensive and heavy boat. For the same money you can have a 40 or 42 production sailboat with a powerful engine and with much more interior space.

Sailboats have changed and are more polyvalent and can do what some years ago only a motorsailor could do (regarding motoring), so people that used to buy 30ft motorsailors are now buying production cruising sailboats like the Oceanis 411 0r the Bavaria 40 Vision. A lot more boat for the same money for an equivalent seaworthiness.

Merry Christmas to all.;)

10. xarax

xarax Previous Member

"People that used to buy 30ft motorsailors are now buying production cruising sailboats like the Oceanis 411 0r the Bavaria 40 Vision. A lot more boat for the same money for an equivalent seaworthiness."
    May be, but "equivalent" seaworthiness? :?: Define "equivalence" please, Vega.:)

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Xarax, I don't wish to enter in details. That is a generic observation and you can say it is my personal opinion.

Each boat would be a case, but you can say that both types of boats have strong and week points, regarding costs/seaworthiness. Generally a 30ft heavy motorsailor can be more seaworthy than a light sailing boat of the same size, but a much bigger light sailing boat, (that would cost the same) can be as seaworthy or more, than the smaller boat.

As an example, a new 33ft motorsailor, for instance the Nauticat 331, costs about the same as a 50ft Bavaria or an Oceanis 473. Seaworthiness is a relative concept, but personably I would rather face bad weather in an Oceanis 473 than in a 33ft Nauticat;) .

12. xarax

xarax Previous Member

A not so young anymore ( and not so fool anymore...) fellow (like me, for one...), who is not a sail champion (anymore :)), will not sail alone, or with the company of a presumably inexperienced friend, in a 47 or 50ft boat, if he is not sure about the weather. (I am not talking about super-automated, super-expensive sailboats, like Wally and the like, of course.) In a 33 ft motorsailer, things are many times simpler, lighter, quicker, easier, so one can argue that a well build 33ft motorsailer, sailed single-handed, is also safer in adverse weather conditions. ( A HR 342 would be fine, too.;) )

13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I was not saying that a33ft motorsailor is not a safe boat. If you know me better you would know that I strongly object to someone that wants to tell you what’s the best boat for you. I was only saying why there are so few small traditional motorsailors on the market (new ones). But there are some and that means that there are people that prefers them to other type of boats, never minding the price. And that’s fine by me, I like diversity.

About the dificulty of sailing a modern 47ft boat single-handed. It is a lot easier than it looks.
    António has one (and I don’t think he is a young man), listening what he says:

14. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

It is with considerable embarrassment that I realised I left a few inovations out. Namely, Fiber Glass construction, Dacron(r) sails, reliable diesel engines, roller furling, and, most recently (to my greatest embarrassment) feathering propellers (I wouldn't design a motorsailor without one). These five other innovations I expect to see around for a very long time.

A possible sixth one might be carbon fibre masts, but only when people learn to build them themselves. They are inherently labor intensive to make. And the materials aint cheap either. As much as I admire their superior strength to weight ratio and the extra performance it promises, I see them as a real budget buster at this time. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them on just about every boat in a decade or two.

I could imagine puting a modern diesel, dacron sails, carbon spars, and a feathering propellor on a 'Tahiti Ketch', but, other than enlarging the sail plan somewhat (say 10 to 15%) due to the lighter spars, not changing the design one bit. It would be interesting to see what performance improvements could be gained.

Sorry for the over sight.

Bob

15. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Originally Posted by Antonio Alcalá, cited by Vega:
    "Yes, Vega, I sail on 473 since 2005 March. Most of the times alone. I have been in a gale with 52 kts and 4 meter waves close to Isla de Alboran. I had no problems with the boat, very strong, very safe and even more very fast. I did escape of a low-pressure system at 11.5 knots only with main sail 2 reefs and storm sail. All were perfect while steering at 120-130 º of wind. First example where I could prove to myself, the safety of speed for escaping a gale. ..."
    Well, let me put it that way:
    Being fortunate enough to have escaped greater gales, I am no longer in the position to have to prove to myself anything at all. :) I admire brave men like Antonio Alcala, but to me Nature, the Elements, are there for us to understand them, not to conquer them, because "the world is subtle but not malicious" and, what is of most importance, because the world is "incomprehensibly comprehensible". Now, the big truth of the sea is that the bigger the boat, the safer it is, if one is able to stir it properly. However "the opposite of a big truth is also a big truth", remember? The smaller the boat, the less its resistance to the elements, so the easier to manage it. There is no fixed golden ratio, the optimum size of the boat depends upon the particular individual and the particular sea state he finds himself in. For each one of us there is, I guess, a point of equilibrium in between which begs to be measured, under conditions far from equilibrium, like a gale, for example.:) For me 33ft/1OM LOA was enough then, I remember, so, after all these years, it should be enough now, too.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.