1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Mold Building Specs

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by dereksireci, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Does anybody know of any technical publications on mold building? I know everybody has their own method with solid glass of filled resin or whatever.

Also guidelines on steel framing would be nice.

Thanks,

djs

2. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

Usually we have to build sufficient support to prevent any twisting or moving of the mould surface. You will also want to design the support structure to carry the weight of the mould and part plus add in any details such as rotating mechanisms and such. As for the mould layup, you should consider how heavy the part layup is and make your mould layup proportional to that, i.e. heavy layup heavier mould layup. If not you could get cracking from heat stress.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

3. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

found it

Thanks for your reply quicksail. What was lacking was not common sense, rather technical information about mold building.

I found a source of information.
    Cook Composites and Polymers publishes a an application guide in print and CD that has an excellent section on ployester mold building, I know some experience plug and mold builders who would not agree with everything in the book but it is a valuable resource.

CCP
    PO Box 419389
    Kansas City, MO 64141
    800-821-3590
    www.ccponline.com

djs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.