Repairing 1979 Beachcraft deep v - questions

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by MSM207, Aug 28, 2012.

1. MSM207

MSM207 New Member

Hello. So glad to find this forum! I've searched the threads and have not found the answer to this question. I may not be wording it properly as I am totally new to this so please redirect me if need be. I found a picture of a boat like ours in the threads but not the same issue. Here is our issue:

We have removed the rotted plywood flooring and found the motor mount beams made of fiberglass and plywood are also rotted (the wood part). Am removing the plywood part and thinking of using the fiberglass part of motor mounts that are still there as a form and to fill/inject with an epoxy would be more durable and stronger. Any suggestions on what to use or tips to go about it? Each motor mount is approx. 28” long and 5” thick.

Thanks for any help.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum MSM.

That'll work, but it'll be damn expensive and heavy. Wood is used because of it's cost to stiffness/strength ratio, which is pretty hard to beat with other materials.

Replacing stringers is covered in many previous threads, though the approach and materials can change to a degree, the processes are the same, as are the economics.

Your engine mounts (beds) should be part of two longitudinal stingers or at least bolted to them. These would typically run nearly the full length of the boat. So, post some pictures and we can see where you're areas of concern are.

3. MSM207

MSM207 New Member

Thank you! Stringers. That's the word I needed and did not have to do a good search.

We WERE going to replace the plywood on the stringers for the bulk of the length and fill in the 28x5 inch fiberglass box that the motor mounts sit on. They are sagging as the box is hollow and doesn't seem strong. I say "were" because logic and practicality have since set in. Got into it more yesterday, inspecting engine and stern drive. CRACKS. So, we can put about 2-3k in the thing and countless man hours and have a boat that is still worth "maybe" 2.5K or we can buy a very nice used boat that has been well cared for, for about the same or slightly more money without all the time and hassle and be out on the water next week. So, we've decided to part out the good stuff and scrap the rest. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your reply and willingness to help. Best...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.