Io Or Inboard Why

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by AYACHT, Jul 24, 2006.

1. AYACHT

AYACHT Junior Member

I was looking to buy somthing along the lines of the Hunt Reefsurfer 25.

It comes with a IO. I have one now and can't stand it. I would like a inboard.

Why do all the boat builders use IO's?

At that point wouldn't I be better off with an outboard?

2. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

More Info

What's wrong with you IO that makes you not like it?

Please give us some details so we can better understand your situation.

Thanks

3. AYACHT

AYACHT Junior Member

I store in the water and I don't like all the maintenace that goes with it.
    All of the zincs,painting. it is a pain have to use two paints for the bottom than the IO. My exhust bellows came off and I had to haul the boat and spend $$$ to have it fixed. Too many parts. A shaft and prop has very little to be done or a outboard can be lifted claer of the water.

What is the benifit?

Thanks

4. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

Marina owners love IO's, they put their kids thru school!

In truth, IO's maneuver a little better, especialy when astern, they may be easier to fit on a trailer, and they can be raised in shallow water. That's it for the good news.

On the other side, they are mechanicaly complicated, which leads to them being finicky and v. expensive to maintain, as you have found.

Get yourself a well designed boat with a straight inboard drive and take the time to learn to dock and maneuver it, you'll never go back - I know I won't!

moT

5. CET

CET Senior Member

One benefit of an I/O is having the engine inside the boat (e.g., NO outboard) but still being able to keep the weight of the motor at the stern, which is usually desireable in a planing design. Same thing can be accomplished with an inboard/V-drive configuration.

6. AYACHT

AYACHT Junior Member

I have no problem with the maneuvering of any boat. I just don't see why the builders keep putting IO's on. Like the Hunt Surf 25. I would buy one if it was a inboard. I will never own a IO again. Current boat is a rebuilt Bertram 20 Moppie 1965 so I was stuck on the repower. Merc 4.3. I need to move up to somthing that I can overnight on with my 5 year old but want to stay under 26' for the creek I live on.Oyster creek in Annapolis. Everything is within 1 hour of the creek so I don't want anything bigger. The moppie is perfect 90% of the time.

7. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

AYACHT --

Why don't you look for a Shamrock?

Say goodby to the new u-joint/boot/gimble/impeler/seals parade once and for all :D

moT

8. AYACHT

AYACHT Junior Member

mo T not sure if I'm into the Shamrock but your right about all the parts!

Way too many when you stamp saltwater and Marine on it!

9. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

The manufacturers like the in/outs because they can get a package deal for everything required for the installation and anyone who can read can do the installation. They also often get financing incentives, and up front shared advertising funds. I haven't heard of any conventional marine engine manufacturers offering comparable incentives.

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

There are some crappy IOs, and there are some boats that aren't suited for them. But there are also good drives.
    The IO has a number of advantages.... among them, good weight distribution in the boat, trimmable, thrust is parallel to boat motion, less drag than a straight shaft... the list goes on. But they have as their two big pitfalls: Complexity, and its complement Cost. If you feel that those don't trade off well against the positives, the system isn't for you. But that doesn't make it inherently bad, it's just that your priorities are different from those of the engineer who designed that drive.

11. KFB

KFB Junior Member

Have you looked at the Back Coves? The all have inboard diesels, and are built in Maine...without a Hinckley price tag. I think they build a 26 footer. www.backcoveyachts.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.