30 square meter

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by fastwave, Jun 3, 2009.

1. fastwave

fastwave Senior Member

Anybody know when the last 30sqm was launched or if there are any "modern" boats recently launched?

I am looking for some info or pics but so far have not found anything launched post world war

Thanks

2. Omeron

Omeron Senior Member

Here is Pani. Guess still sailing.

Attached Files:

3. Zed

Zed Senior Member

4. fastwave

fastwave Senior Member

Thanks guy for the info.
    what I am after is if any boats were launched recently that fit the rule. There are a few modern classic looking yachts with fin and bulb and spade rudder but those do not fit the rule.
    Also they are not trying to exploit the rule (since they do fit in it anyway), the keep the sleek looks etc instead since their purpose is different.
    I have a lot of info on several old designs. The question is what would you build today if you were launching a 30 sqm for racing. It would be very different to the old designs, something more similar to a 5.5m perhaps.

Thanks again for the info

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Fastwave,Go to the Swedish Association of the Square Metre Classes:http://www.sskf.se/info/engindex.htmThey have the most comprehensive information about Square Meters, and last year they published a book celebrating the 100th birthday of the class. This is "The World of Square Metres", and is referred to as The Jubilee Book. The book covers recent Square Metre class activities in various countries around the world.As for new designs, I have been commissioned to design The Scandinavian Cruiser 40 for Scandinavian Cruisers:http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/SC40.htmhttp://www.scandinaviancruisers.com/The SC 40 is "inspired by" the 30 Square Metre. It does not follow the rule because my client wanted to add modern technology in the form of a lifting keel, lifting rudder, and a rotating wingmast into the mix. Also, the boat had to be shippable in a standard 40' shipping container. Those compromises through it outside the exact definitions of a 30 Square Metre.The Square Metre Rule was last updated in 2005 (that is the date of my version), so the classes are alive and well. The rule is fairly limiting in hull and rig proportions, so there is not too much that you can do to change features of the hull and still call it a Square Metre.I suggest buying a copy of the Jubilee Book and then talk to the SSKF to get more detailed information.I hope that helps.Eric

6. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Sorry for the bad display--something is not working with the "Enter-Return" Key:

Fastwave,

Go to the Swedish Association of the Square Metre classes:

http://www.sskf.se/info/engindex.htm

They have the most comprehensive information about Square Meters, and last year they published a book celebrating the 100th birthday of the class. This is "The World of Square Metres", and is referred to as The Jubilee Book. The book covers recent Square Metre class activities in various countries around the world.As for new designs, I have been commissioned to design The Scandinavian Cruiser 40 for Scandinavian Cruisers:

http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/SC40.htm

http://www.scandinaviancruisers.com/

The SC 40 is "inspired by" the 30 Square Metre. It does not follow the rule because my client wanted to add modern technology in the form of a lifting keel, lifting rudder, and a rotating wingmast into the mix. Also, the boat had to be shippable in a standard 40' shipping container. Those compromises through it outside the exact definitions of a 30 Square Metre.

The Square Metre Rule was last updated in 2005 (that is the date of my version), so the classes are alive and well. The rule is fairly limiting in hull and rig proportions, so there is not too much that you can do to change features of the hull and still call it a Square Metre.

I suggest buying a copy of the Jubilee Book and then talk to the SSKF to get more detailed information.

I hope that helps.

Eric

7. fastwave

fastwave Senior Member

I have studied the rule in detail. All the new yachts launced seemed to be "inspired" by the 30sqm. They thus keep the smooth hull shape, narrow stern etc to preserve the old 30sqm look. The are beautiful yachts but If you were going to design a 30sqm today they would not be the same.

So far I have not been able to find a 30sqm launched in the last 20 years (designed in teh last 20 years)

Thanks for the info anyway.

8. C 249

C 249 Junior Member

I think the LS 30s built in Australia in about '89 were fairly new designs then. They had a "long" keel and attached rudder; I think it's mandated in the rules just as it used to be in thte 5.5sm.

9. fastwave

fastwave Senior Member

Hi C249,
    I have tried to find some info on the LS30 but not luck. Do you have a link or some photos?

Thanks

10. onelilly

onelilly New Member

i am looking for a sail maker who has built sails for a 30 square
    this one is swedish built
    42' overall
    12' boom

11. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

Check this web site: http://www.zarins.se/

I can't read Swedish, but it looks like there is a builder who is building new 30 sqm's and 22 sqm's.

12. onelilly

onelilly New Member

30 square

thanks for the info
    I will keep searching

13. pagodino

pagodino Junior Member

In production

Another 30m2 is still in production in germany, it is perhaps the fastest one of all. Ther race version is 12.40 m x 2.14. It is constructed on the island of Reichenau in the lake of Constanze. They are produceds by Beck and sons (Soehne). They are living about 1km from my native familie and a worker of the stable was a friend of my grandfather and a saw the construktionwork fore many times and years. The were so beautiful tu see. Only when the Quartas, Tucan and Akros came in the 80's they were not longer the boat to beat on the see. but they are still fast and go very high on the wind.

Best regards Pagodino

14. onelilly

onelilly New Member

mine is 1937
    We are building new sails.
    She was the fastest boat in our harbour
    I would love to see pictures of the new 30 square and find more boats .
    With new sail we expect to point very high on the wind.
    Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.