30' plywood sharpie

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by davesg, Nov 4, 2009.

1. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

I can't find your thread, do you have a photo of your boat?

Michel

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok complete change of plan
    is the name of the thread

photo's of my last pick are in there towards the end

36' Helmer bridge deck cruiser

no hijack intended
    carry on

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

He signed up a while back, but doesn't report until October 5th.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Thank your son for me.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Will do....

Hoo-ray!! I finally got the catalog from the Smithsonian Institution today -- the Ship Plan List, as they call it. Haven't had a chance to do more than just thumb through it, but there seem to be quite a few sharpies.

Unfortunately there are no illustrations, and the descriptions are so short as to be almost useless for many of the boats. Some of them don't even include the length. For example, one boat listed from Chapelle says simply, 'Sharpie yacht,' followed by the date (1936). I'll sort through them though, and send off for the ones that might have potential as a cruiser.

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Troy
    Thank him for me too.
    Have you got Chapelle's "National Watercraft Collection" book? Nice 53'x12'xhull depth 4'3" Florida 1899 Sharpie Fishing Schooner pg 289.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Nope. I have his Boatbuilding book, and his American Small Sailing Craft book, both of which have some sharpies in them.

A 53' schooner would be massive overkill for me; I'm planning to build about a 30' boat as a trailer-sailor.

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Find the book on Amazon or ABE books and get a beater copy cheap as it's a great education in American watercraft. This is the Smithsonian collection circa 1960, and has hundreds of wildly varying vessels from rowboats to steamers, and a bunch of nice sharpies, some of which are in your plans catalog. Page 282 a "terrapin smack" sharpie schooner of 28-32 feet once popular in the middle and south atlantic coast fisheries.
    Also, Mystic Seaport in Connecticut has a plans catalog and some are sharpies.

9. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

And Ruell Parker's design catalog on-line is awesome what he's done with Sharpie yachts of very simple practical type.

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I do have Parker's Sharpie Book. As a matter of fact I'm on my second one; the first one mysteriously sprouted legs.

I'll have to look up the National Watercraft Collection book. If I can find a copy that doesn't cost a fortune, I'll order it this week.

edit: OK, found a clean copy of the original edition for $9.95 plus tax and shipping, for a total of a little over fourteen bucks. Can't argue with that....

It will supposedly get here by November 7th.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I hope the veins are mending well so you can finish the sharpie without further hindrance.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, I'm still walking, and still breathing. Which means that so far I'm still winning.

I did a little research online, and found that untreated pulmonary embolisms like mine have a 30% fatality rate. On the other hand, people who get treatment only have a 2% to 8% fatality rate. So the odds are with me; my opinion is that if it hasn't gotten me yet, it isn't going to -- knock on wood, of course. The DVT in my leg, which is more of a nuisance, seems to be getting better also, slowly and steadily.

But it'll be a while before I get to the sharpie anyway. As I mentioned in my flat-bottomed canoe thread, I have plans coming for a 21' decked, 2-masted 'cruising canoe,' drawn by Billy Atkin back in the 1930's. That'll be my next project; I'm hoping to get started on it this winter. I'll probably hold on to it to play with until the sharpie's done, then pass it on to my son to keep the Bleu Bayeau company....assuming he's settled down and stationed somewhere he can use it.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Just got to work this evening, and the plans for William (Billy) Atkin's 21' 'cruising canoe' were waiting for me. It was like a trip back in time. The address label on the cardboard mailing tube was preprinted with 'Atkin Boat Plans' and the address; had a nice rendering of a cutter pulling a dinghy; and across the bottom said, "Individualized Designs for Unregimented Yachtsmen."

My address was typed in with an obviously well-worn typewriter, so the letters wandered around a little and looked a bit smudged.

Inside was a blackline copy of Atkin's very detailed set of plans; a table of offsets; a photocopy of the original article published in Motorboat magazine in 1933 or 1934; and a very nice little letter personally signed by Pat Atkin (John Atkin's widow).

She thanked me for buying the plans, encouraged me to follow them closely as drawn, and asked that I send a photo for the website when I get the boat built. I'm going to write her a note, asking if she would mind me posting the article here in this forum. I could probably just do it, but I'd rather be mannerly....

14. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Wow Troy, that was really nicely written and I'm still going "awwwwww".
    Makes me remember all those "Build a Motor Boat" books.
    Thanks.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

nice
    mine included a very nice letter concerning my previous correspondence with Pat and an article on the Tern which is the print I liked the most of all the Atkins designs

I must have eight or nine sets of prints so far and the Atkins is my fave so far
    cheers and have fun with it
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.