30' plywood sharpie

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by davesg, Nov 4, 2009.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Thanks for the pictures.

It's certainly different from traditional sharpie construction in some respects, at least the New Haven ones. They didn't have that multi-piece stem and cutwater assembly, for example. Instead, "the stem was a triangular-sectioned piece of oak measuring 6 by 9 inches before it was finished. The side plank ran past the forward edge of the stem and was mitered to form a sharp cutwater. The miter was covered by a brass bar stemband to which was brazed two side plates 3/16 or ¼ inch thick. This stemband, which was tacked to the side plank, usually measured ½ or ⅝ inch by ¾ inch and it turned under the stem, running under the bottom for a foot or two. The band also passed over a stemhead and ran to the deck, having been shaped over the head of the stem by heating and molding over a pattern."
    --Chapelle.

Instead of a flat keelson, as in the picture and on my model, the traditional New Haven sharpies had keelsons made from three planks sandwiched together and stood on edge, with a piece taken out to make room for the centerboard and flat boards scarphed in at either end. That's probably because long and narrow boats with traditional planking needed the stiffening more than a modern one with plywood sides, decks and bottom.

With that big skeg on it, the sharpie in the pictures certainly won't be as maneuverable as a New haven sharpie. But it'll track easier....

Again, thank for the link to the pictures.

3. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Troy , I live not far from New Haven , and know of one 35' sharpie built of ply .
    By a guy named Graham Ero ,If I am not mistaking

http://www.erowoodenboats.com/

I may be able to get picture of it for you. It was very simple build , 2x4 chine log and sheer clamp . 3/4" ply side and I assume 2 layers of 3/4 for the bottom.
    The keelson and center board case were of a standard sharpie.
    normally the plank center board case backbone did not reach the ends , but was filled in with a keelson fore and aft. The bow could be very simple and use a 4x4 with out a rabbit and the ply brought right right out , and the bow capped with a outer sacrificial stem , the side are usually not scarfed but simply put together with butt blocks of ply.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK, finally got a little more done on the model. The platform for the V-berth is in, and I glued the sheer clamps in place. I was going to install the permanent bulkheads first and notch them for the sheer clamps. But I decided that after the way the hull has been knocked around and broken up, I needed to fair the sheer first, as much as possible.

Here's a picture of the sheer clamps being glued in place. I didn't even try to use fast-grab glues like Super Glue or other cyanoacrylate glues. Instead, I used plain old woodworker's glue (aliphatic resin), so I would have time to work. They're clamped in place with small binder clips at close intervals because of the twist. And I used extra clips at the repaired hull breaks, to suck everything in tight and get rid of the kinks.

Tomorrow I'll start cutting out the deck beams, and notching them into the sheer clamps. The Finnish Birch plywood I have is a little hard for cutting small pieces from, and plain balsa doesn't have a strong enough grain to get curved beams out of it. So I'll probably laminate two thin planks of balsa together, with the grain of the two pieces at a shallow angle, and get the beams out of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

cool pics Troy...all are appreciated...keep up the good werks...

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

By the way: although I'm trying to more or less replicate the construction of the real thing, all the wood I'm using is not necessarily exactly to scale. Those sheer clamps, for example, are what I happened to have handy. The full-sized one will probably be about an inch wider. Ditto with the plank keelson; it'll be wider, too.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK, scratch that. Even with two pieces glued up for cross grain, balsa just isn't strong enough for cutting deck beams to scale. Not to mention it's so soft that it's hard to keep a coping saw on track in it....

So I'm back to cutting deck beams out of the 4mm Finnish plywood I have on hand, and I just threw out half a dozen balsa deck beams.

For those of you who are wondering: yes. The model is going to take me longer to build than the boat will.:p

I figure it's going to take me two years to put together the time and the money to get going on the real thing. And I intend to take advantage of the time lag to do all my fiddling around and second-guessing on the model. I'd like to eliminate as many surprises as possible.

When I finally get started on the real boat, I'll do it like I've done everything from chip-carved jewelry boxes to houses and garages in the past: put my head down, dig in, and go from daylight to dark until it's finished.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

best of luck
    am always interested in your progress

9. souljour2000

Anyone see this on ebay? Cool boat if you could make a new superstructure that gave more cabin room and still was aerodynamic...I'd want a smaller one I could row but it's an interesting boat.Not sure about the hollow masts...looks like the builder/owner really had this thing stripped down for fast sailing....I wonder if it worked...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item3359779065

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's definitely something I would at least consider. But the 'local pickup in Florida within 30 days' thing kind of leaves me out.....

11. souljour2000

I would like to know more about her..they didn't give much info at all on her specs...almost nothing...she's seen better days..hopefully someone can bring her back right...l

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I got the impression the seller doesn't really know much about her, or about boats in general. Maybe it came with the house he bought,or something.

13. souljour2000

Yeah...most people who know much of anything about sailboats would have given at least a few token specs...if this is so...she could have a low reserve price...or a ridiculously steep one i suppose...

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I just spent more time studying the photo's at this link, Frank, and wanted to thank you again for posting it. Very educational.

15. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

For those who love sharpies but don't have the resources for a big one, here are pictures of R/C sailing models of a 44 foot North Carolina Oyster Sharpie. 50" long, 14 lbs, sails like a witch, planes downwind. Plans and laser cut frames are available. PM me if you are interested. Warning: sailing model schooners can be addictive :)

Cheers,

Earl Boebert
    Historian, U.S. Vintage Model Yacht Group

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.