Floating Nightclub, Barge? Pontoons? or magic?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Swashbuckler, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler New Member

I am putting together a floating nightclub. My initial concept was to get an old barge about 150' x 40' and then build on top of it.

However, (don't you hate however's?) I was wondering if a pontoon boat of size might work for this application?

In particular if I need more than one.

Or some other concept. (magic?)

Presently, I can get a barge of that size towed into position for $125-150K. (Maybe less)

Anythoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Ah...

Hello...

If it is not moving about - go with the barge - particularily if it is steel - easy to refurbish - easy to calculate displacement of the club and amount of people (ie: Architects doing math - scary) - easy to certify - less movement from passing shipping - lots of usable space below for secret rooms in which to do magic - or keep beer and hard tacks chilled and locked up...

Pontoons mean a deck and joining structure - more engineering - less load displacement - and people will think you intend to take them somewhere...

Yep...

SH.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

IF it Floats , the Coasties will have a lot to say about construction , watertight subdivision and manning.

Steel is easier to understand for them.

Talk to the USCG First , you may be shocked at their ideas .

FAST FRED

4. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler New Member

thanks

I appreciate the input.. a lot. Peter

5. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler New Member

shocked at Coasties? lol

Thanks Fred,

What do you mean shocked? Think they'll come up with something intriguing or scary?

Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.