30 hp evinrude impeller change

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Big Builder, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Big Builder

Big Builder Junior Member

Hey everyone.

I am trying to install a new impeller in my outboard by I am a little stuck.

I have managed to remove the lower unit but i think I have gone about it in the wrong way. I removed the bolts, then the water intake crates to unlink the shift rod. It was stuck so I remove the small screw at the very bottom of the skeg. Once everything was out I disassemble the water pump housing.
    and removed the impeller. The question is: What is the correct reinstallation
    sequence to make it sooo much easier than it was to remove. The gasket around the bottom of the water pump housing is not very good now, can I replace with silicone or is a new paper gasket necessary?

Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Do you have the shop manual for this motor? If not, buy and read it before you try to reassemble the thing. The shift linkage is pretty finicky.
    When reassembling the water pump, you should use the correct OMC impeller and gaskets. Caulking will not seal around the bolt holes properly, and if any oozes out into the pump chamber, chunks of caulking will quickly clog the cooling system.

3. Big Builder

I have a new impeller and will install. Do the bolt holes that attach the housing require thread sealant?

Any idea what the screw and the very bottom ( not the drain screw) does? \
    Seems like its a locking pin of somesort? Any Idea about reinstalling that ? Does it have to be in gear or out of gear etc?

4. WetDawg

WetDawg New Member

Evinrude 30HP impeller change

Big Builder,

I too am getting ready to make the same plunge here and attempt to do this job. Did you ever get yours back together? Can you share the details?

5. Big Builder

Went as easy as pie. Unbolt the lower unit. Unscrew shifter rod in the water intake cavity and slide off lower unit.

Yo will se how to replace impeller then. Put a little lube on impeller when you put it in. Something that won't hurt the rubber impeller.

As long as all the bolts come out you won't have any trouble switching it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.