Chinese Steel Tall Ship Builders?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Adam Baker, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Adam Baker

Adam Baker Junior Member

Hello All,

Please can any one advise of any Chinese ship builders willing to consider the following project. The reason for China is for the most cost effective solution.

This is an informal request for possibilities of a new tall ship being ordered. The exact specifications, dimensions and capacity of the vessel are dependent on limitation in budget. Mass-produced ‘Off the shelf’ solution. i.e. New Chinese Civilian/Military vessel converted to square sail rig is considered to meet budget.

·New Cargo/Passenger Ship. Square rigged sailing ship, with aesthetical look of a traditional ship. (Approx 180ft, Full Rigged).

·Steel Construction Ice Breaker.

·500,000 Thousand Chinese Yuan budget.

·2006/7 Planned start of construction.

This is a serious enquiry and would sincerely appreciate any information; I have listed my full contact details and will be looking to visit China 2005.

Many Thanks

Adam Baker.

Unit: 337, 91 Western Road
    Brighton
    East Sussex
    BN1 2NW
    United Kingdom

Tel: 01273 206945
    Fax: 0870 1326877
    Mobile: 070 1071 7153
    Email: trade@technologist.com

2. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

In my humble opinion, wouldn't it be better to ask the Polish? The shipyards (or what is left of them) near Gdansk - they have done this before - if the steel-sqare-rigged-ship designer (what is his name?) is still there - he designed the sail-training tall ships for the Poles and the Russians/Ukranians. They have the designers, the skilled builders, the site, the sailors skilled in using these traditional vessels and I will wager a competitive price compared to the Chinese. (Perhaps not 50p an hour but the experience, I would argue, is valuable?)

Regards
    mark

3. Adam Baker

Adam Baker Junior Member

Thanks for the posting..

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the posting, have you any further info/links to the builders in Poland?

Thanks

Adam

4. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

I found;

:idea: Ship Design and Research Centre
    80-958 Gdańsk, Wały Piastowskie 1
    tel.: (58) 301 00 42, fax: (58) 301 16 83
    e-mail: marketing@cto.gda.pl

Their charter is quote:

The essential mission of the CTO is to initiate and to support the shipbuilding industry by the research-development, design and information activities both in the ship design and ship building process.

The intellectual, research and design resources of CTO are also employed for the other branches of economy, for the shipping in particular.

CTO's research laboratories are available also for students and research staff of technical universities and this is CTO's contribution to improvement of education quality and development of science.

In constant pursuit of perfect performance of research-development and design work at the world's top level, CTO satisfies the expectations of the Customers by rendering its services quickly and with competitive prices.

End Quote

They should be able to put you in contact with builders/designers or 'hopefully' give you advice.

:idea: Also try http://www.bpcc.org.pl/glowna.php?lng=en&all=yes (British-Polish Chamber of Commerce.

:idea: Also - Sail Training Association Poland(STAP), Gdynska Fundacja Zeglarska, al.
    Zjednoczenia 3, 81-963 Gdynia 1, Poland

:idea: Also - The current owner and operator of Sail Training Ship (STS) POGORIA is the Sail Training Association Poland, which is a national branch of the famous British organization, The International Sail Training Association. The Sail Training Association Poland made Captain Adam Jasser their honorary member one. Contact - 954-583-9937, (this is a manual fax) or mail to:

Attn: Pogoria / Adam Jasser
    Ocean Masters Sailing Academy
    1323 SE 17th Street, Suite 474
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

:idea: Also - MIR("Peace") is the third ship of one construction series of overall six ships of the M108-class, also called "MIR"-class, which have been built in the 80-s at the Lenin shipyard in Gdansk/Poland.
    Shipowner: Admiral Makarov State Maritime Academy
    mail: 15a, Kosaya Linia, St-Petersburg, 199106, Russia
    tel/fax: +7(812)322-72-43
    E-mail: smamir@lek.ru

Ship: Sail Training Ship "MIR"
    E-mail: info_booking@tallshipmir.ru; master@tallshipmir.ru
    mobile: +49(0)173 244 62 86; 244 62 90; +7(812)964-64-06

Agent: Murmansk Transnautic Fischeribetriebs GmbH
    tel/fax: +49(0)4107 48 89
    mobile: +49(0)173 60 17 840

I hope some of these info sources are useful. I hope this project works out!

Regards
    Mark

5. Adam Baker

Adam Baker Junior Member

Hi, mark

Many, many thanks for the in depth information. I will by all means follow every lead.

Once again thanks for all your kindness.

Adam.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.