Beginner Help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NoleOnTheFlats, Jun 2, 2014.

1. NoleOnTheFlats

NoleOnTheFlats Junior Member

First of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ethan and I'm 15 years old. I'm really interested by flats/ skiff design. If some would be kind enough to walk me through the steps of designing a boat, starting with concept design all the way to the production of molds , I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Do you want to learn how to build a boat, or learn how to design a boat? They are different kinds of skills, either is okay, but if you just want to build one as a project is would be much faster to just buy plans, they do not cost much, or choose from some free on-line plans. Find something close to what you want a make a few modifications to them. look for free plans for first time projects. to learn how to design, you might start by study plans of good existing boats.

here are some free plans to study, they are dated designs but good for learning from. http://svensons.com/boat/

There are also good plans for free, or study plans, of more modern designs avaiable from: http://www.bateau.com/freeplans.php

And from Duckworth magazine: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

before you make some changes to the design, you might check back with us here and we can advise you if the changes you want to make are a good idea or not. Or what materials you can substitute, etc.

have fun, and good luck.

3. NoleOnTheFlats

Thank you a lot for your help. At first, I'd like to learn how to design the hulls. In the future I hope to be able to put my designs to work sometime in the future.

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What makes you like that type of design? The best way to learn about the behavior and other characteristics of a boat is to get in the water with one.

6. NoleOnTheFlats

I love skiffs like the ones that Hell's Bay Boatworks and Beavertail Skiff Company makes because the are so streamlined and sleek in their design. They remind me of fighter jets. I also like how skiffs are used for poling in shallow water to reach fish who are often easily spooked. It's almost like an art. My ultimate goal would be to produce a fiberglass/ composite skiff like Hell's Bay and Beavertail. I understand that is probably a ways down the road from this point in my life. Trial and error, trial and error.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Those easily spooked fish are Bonefish ? Too bad about the eating !

8. NoleOnTheFlats

Bonefish, Redfish, Tarpon. You name it.

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Noleontheflats; a good start for you might be a book called; The Nature Of Boats, by Dave Gerr. The book is full of good information without getting too complicated with theory and heavy duty math. You may be able to find the book at the Public Library.

With a name like Nole, am I to assume that you are an FSU fan?

10. NoleOnTheFlats

Thank you. I'll definitely look into that. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the process of building molds for fiberglass hulls. If you don't mind me asking when a hull is made of "composite" what is it constructed of in addition to fiberglass?

And yes, I am a FSU fan.

11. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The term composite implies that more than one material is involved. It can be wood and glass, glass and jelly donuts, or any other combination of ingredients. Boat guys often think in terms of glass epoxy with carbon fiber tows or some such combination maybe with a some wood thrown into the mixture. An example of that can be seen in APBA hundred mile an hour hydro race boats.

Nole: do build a couple of wooden boats before you start messing with all that gooey, stinky, resinous, glop of fiberglass. Matter of fact you will need to build a "plug" before you build the mold. That is usually done in wood. The plug is the exact boat hull that you wish to have the mold produce. Having built the plug, You already have a boat in the form of the plug so why not just stop there?

It may be useful for you to know that wood, when considered on a pound for pound basis, is stronger than fiberglass by a noticeable margin.

You have already indicated that appearance is one of your most crucial priorities. That is a path of design fraught with disappointment. It is true that you can have a sexy looking topsides that employs a proven bottom configuration. Just don't let the looks of the boat cause you to compromise the part that really counts, which is the running surface and the safety factors.

We will encourage young fellows like yourself to pursue your dreams. We will also caution you against the folly of trying to make something work that won't.

I say all this in all sincerity even though I am a Gator alumni that does not love the accursed Seminoles. All kidding aside, if I can be of assistance to you, and you are sufficiently serious about this, I will be as helpful as I am capable of being. I am not far away in Lakeland.

12. NoleOnTheFlats

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to let you know if assistance is required.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.